The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Do people actually use horse massage? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/do-people-actually-use-horse-massage-62725/)

yarsrevenge 08-19-2010 02:07 PM

Do people actually use horse massage?

My riding instructor gave me some information on classes to learn and perform horse massage. He told me that it pays well and I've been considering paying for the class so that I could practice massage as a source of some extra income. However, I'm reluctant to spend hundreds of dollars getting certified and then find out that nobody is interested in this service. Does anybody have any experience in this field? Is the market oversaturated? Is it all a bunch of hippie nonsense? :?

corinowalk 08-19-2010 02:15 PM

I took classes on massage therapy and really did like it. I did it to save myself some money on the actual massages as I had a horse that needed them quite frequently. I also felt that it was hippy nonsense...it really isnt.

It really depends on the area. In my area there are a few reaaaaly good massage therapists that have been doing it for years but if I wanted to do it for money, I doubt I would have a huge problem getting clients. I don't because my *real* job pays enough to keep me floating...and leaves me without any extra time for side jobs. If, on occasion, I would have someone ask to do a massage, I do it for a reduced rate. Though I am very experienced with it (you should see my forearms! LOL) it takes me a while to get into a groove with a horse to know where to look for problem areas. I charge $35 a session. Most charge $50 a half hour and if your horse needs more...it costs more.

The good thing is, its relativly easy to learn. When I went to classes a few years back there was not 'certification' of massage therapy. This is where things get tricky. Your competition has either been to a long, extensive class and learned everything the correct way. Or they picked up a book on amazon.com and learned on their own. Both can be good massage therapists.

If you were looking into it as a career, know that you will have to really sell yourself. You said you were curious as to if it was hippy nonsense...most of the world thinks it is. Its your job to not only convince them otherwise...but to charge them to convince them.

Hope this helped!

nrhareiner 08-19-2010 02:34 PM

I personally would not use a person who ONLY did massage. The person I use for all my reiners does Bioscan/Acupuncture and chiro. The combination is what works. Each in and of itself are good. Put them together and they really work well.

Alwaysbehind 08-19-2010 02:50 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Before you spend the money planning on hanging out a shingle and doing business please make sure you can legally give massages in your state.

Some states the laws are written in a manner that you legally have to be a licensed veterinarian to even do equine message.

haleylvsshammy 08-20-2010 12:18 AM

I'll tell you that people do use massage. My horses old owner got him a massage. I agree with everybody above, especially on making sure it's legal in your state.

MyBoyPuck 08-20-2010 12:31 AM

They're getting $65 for a massage in my area, but then I'm in the overpriced northeast. Also, a friend of mine who does equine massage says her business has slipped off considerably since the economy tanked. It pretty much comes down to supply and demand in your area.

Kayty 08-20-2010 02:29 AM

I love my equine massage lady :) I use a combination of hands on massage, and equissage. The massage is fantastic for loosening up the muscles rubbing along the rib cage and working out the knots in their back, and then I'll do an equissage a few days later to get the blood flow happening. I find that the horse is always much softer to ride, and far more willing to go forward