The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Henri de Revel Saddles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/henri-de-revel-saddles-6274/)

Tigerhawk 02-22-2008 03:19 PM

Henri de Revel Saddles?

Does anyone have an opinion of Henri de Revel (HDR) saddles?
Specificly a 16" Revella Denver Classic for a 4'6" 70 lb girl to be fitted to TB mare. Thanks in advance.

Equina 02-23-2008 12:44 AM

Re: Henri de Revel Saddles?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerhawk
Does anyone have an opinion of Henri de Revel (HDR) saddles?
Specificly a 16" Revella Denver Classic for a 4'6" 70 lb girl to be fitted to tb mare. Thanks in advance.

A friend of mine bought a HDR Advantage because it was the only thing she could find that fit her slender QH. I rode in it a few times, and it was comfortable for being fairly new. I'm not sure how well they hold up though.

I owned a HDR Pro for just long enough to clean it and put it right back on eBay! I was NOT impressed with the leather quality. It had been ridden in just a couple times and the color had completely worn off the flaps from the stirrup leathers.

I think the Rivella is the highest end HDR, right? I haven't seen one in person, but they look nice in photos. I like the detail on the skits of the Denver Classic. I'd recommend trying to find one used...you could probably get one for under $500. And if you don't like it, you could easily re-sell it for around the same amount. Or, does your local tack shop offer trials?

If you do get a HDR, I'd recommend keeping the seat area just behind the pommel well conditioned so that the leather can stretch and won't tear at the seams.

upnover 02-23-2008 11:26 AM

The HDR's seem to be hit and miss. Some of them seem ok, some of them are really cheap. Unfortunately I don't remember which ones are which. :? In general I think it's one of the better lower end saddles but like what was said before, the leather tends to be cheap and I don't think they've been around long enough to see if they really hold up. I've found that the resale value really isn't that great compared to something more popular, say, a used pessoa. But maybe they're getting better? That being said, I have several different bridles and my HDR is my favorite! (it's the most expensive of their line so I imagine the best quality leather) It's very soft and nicer then my Jaguar, Circuit, and Harmon Kraft.