The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Give me your thoughts! OTTB. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/give-me-your-thoughts-ottb-62752/)

gotxhorses 08-19-2010 08:43 PM

Give me your thoughts! OTTB.

1 Attachment(s)
I think I'm bringing this guy home on Sunday as a project horse. He's had his let down time, and has been restarted. He WTC and has been started over cross rails. He's 5 y/o and dark bay (usually almost black) with no white. He's about 16.2hh.

I went out and rode him last weekend, but it was raining and gross, so the ring was flooded. So I only walked and trotted. He had such a soft mouth and was super easy and laid back. He wasn't pushy or strong like a lot of the thoroughbreds I've ridden in the past.

And in addition, it was a weird coincidence because my trainer was the one who told me about him and her and another girl were looking at horses, so she told me to tag along and look at him. We pulled up to the barn... turns out I used to ride a horse at this barn about 5 years ago and absolutely loved him. The people recognized me and we talked. This horse is actually the brother of that horse!

Anyways... This is the only picture I have and I didn't take it, but let me know what you think. I forgot my camera that day.

Meet "Moon Bean"

Attachment 38294

lilruffian 08-19-2010 08:50 PM

Seabiscuit! lol
His front legs seem to be set quite forward... i dont know... Maybe it's just the pic/ the way he's standing. Sweetest TB face though!

MyBoyPuck 08-19-2010 09:00 PM

He's a cutie, but he sure is pigeon breasted. I forget how that plays out in overall gait smoothness, but who cares. He's so cute!

gotxhorses 08-19-2010 09:07 PM

Thanks! So you guys like him overall? I'm not expecting to get some super fancy horse out of him (though that'd be nice! haha) since he's not really built like a fancy horse. But I thought he was cute and even though I wanted a hunter, I think he could at least do jumpers.

lilruffian 08-19-2010 09:10 PM

I think he'd be fine. Apart from the one flaw in his front end he looks good (& it's nothing major to worry about i dont think). Nothing openly wrong with his back legs either, so that's a plus.

gotxhorses 08-19-2010 10:45 PM

Anyone else?

LoveStory10 08-20-2010 05:52 AM

I like him, he's really cute. He reminds me of my friends horse :)

gotxhorses 08-20-2010 10:59 AM

Thanks! Glad you all think he's cute. (: I was a little worried what people would think.

Anyone else want to give him a critique? It would be much appreciated!

sarahver 08-20-2010 11:12 AM

Well he has quite a short croup and undermuscled hip. His neck ties in a little low for my liking also. Hard to tell much about his legs with the way he is standing in the picture.

Temperament is a big factor in my books though and he looks to be sweet. If he rides well then that is a bonus. He doesn't look to be in very good condition, not underweight as such but undermuscled and his coat is very dull, both of which will improve with a good feed regime, work and of course, time. I wouldn't be wanting to pay very much for him in his current state.

gotxhorses 08-20-2010 11:22 AM

He was free. Haha. He's an OTTB who just got done being let down and restarted. So, I wasn't expecting him to be shiny and fat and perfect. He needs work and love.