The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   love this guy and this video! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/love-guy-video-62765/)

lilkitty90 08-19-2010 09:51 PM

love this guy and this video!

anyone ever seen the mustang makeover? i loooove how they take these horses and make wonderful horses out of them! my horse has more riding and training than this mustang but she sure can't do half of it lol

Northern 08-20-2010 12:29 AM

lilkitty, that was a treat & a half! Dan Keen is truly keen!

payette 08-20-2010 12:42 AM

Wow! I love mustangs. . . and it wasn't too shabby watching him ride bareback, either. ;-)

Deerly 08-20-2010 02:45 AM

Wow wow wow wow wow! I'm totally speechless!

For this contest they had only 100 days to train right? AMAZING.

lilkitty90 08-20-2010 09:20 AM

yup! i believe they get anywhere from 100-120 days on them. he does such a wonderful job training them in such a short time! plus he can ride bareback and look at that jump! = ) he can come train my horse anytime ;)

Alwaysbehind 08-20-2010 10:44 AM

He did teach that mustang a very cool trick. That is for sure. Very impressive way cool trick even.

I guess I would like it better if they spent the four months teaching the horse more basics and less cool stuff.

The horse has obviously been taught to deal with certain items, like the bull whip and the climbing in the truck bed.

But he is still VERY green. Heck, he never got a straight line to the jump or from the jump. He was diving left and right and the rider was doing his best to keep the horse heading there (though the landing going away from the in gate he failed horribly at keeping him even close to straight).

If a professional has to pull up and ask for the lead again after four months I can only guess that it is next to impossible for anyone else to get the lead.

Again, I think the climbing in the back of the truck while it is moving thing is way cool. Very impressive.

Just disappointed that more real life tools were not taught.

payette 08-20-2010 11:22 AM

AlwaysBehind- I think there is a trend in training that focuses on "tricks". . . especially in short-term training type competetions, because of course, everyone is trying to capture the attention of the judges and crowds.
I still enjoyed the video! I think you make a valid point, though.

Alwaysbehind 08-20-2010 11:32 AM

Good point Payette.
I guess if you want to win your horse has to have a good trick not good solid basics.

I too enjoyed the video.

I am just disappointed that this great challenge has not worked harder to produce solid citizens with great basics instead of tricks.

payette 08-20-2010 12:20 PM

^Agreed. Needn't be mutually exclusive.

AfterParty 08-20-2010 12:26 PM

so neat!