The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sam's Hurt:( I REALLY need help. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sams-hurt-i-really-need-help-62821/)

Pro 08-20-2010 04:36 PM

Sam's Hurt:( I REALLY need help.

I really need help quick.

Sam has a huge deep cut on the inside of his hock. He's 37, so I was advised not to put him on anything unless necessary so his body can naturally fight it unless it gets infected. It just happened either today, or last night. I'm extremely worried about him, because in the past when he's gotten hurt he gets really really sick.

I need to get some first aid stuff for him. This is what I have so far:

Betadine Solution
Wonder Dust

What am I missing? What can I do to help him and clean it?

I'm ordering it from Jeffers equine, so anything they have I can get if I need it.

Thanks

AngelWithoutWings54 08-20-2010 04:45 PM

Hmm... I would probably put a bandage on it to keep it clean if it's as big as you're telling us it is, but if the vet says not to, then don't.

Pro 08-20-2010 04:48 PM

Thanks.

I think it would be too hard to do that because then he wouldn't be able to flex his leg all that well, and it might come off. It's in a really hard spot to bandage...:(

I'm going back to check on him in a little while. I'll get a picture of where it is.

AngelWithoutWings54 08-20-2010 04:52 PM

Is it like, right where the joint is? I'm not a vet, but I think that you should probably put something over it to keep it clean...

Pro 08-20-2010 04:54 PM

I'll get a picture then you can tell me what you think. I may just try it and see how it goes...I can always take it off if it doesn't work.

twogeldings 08-20-2010 04:55 PM

I would cold hose for 10-15 minuets. Gently pat it dry, and spray with an iodine spray. Let it sit for 10 minuets so it can soak in, then gently pat off the excess. Put a good thick coating of ointment on it, I use Corona's Lanolin Rich ointment and it works awesome. My older gelding got a nasty cut on the back of his pastern. I rinsed it daily, put a but of iodine on it, and slathered it in Corona's. NO bandaging. It healed perfectly and he still had full flex on the leg.

Pro 08-20-2010 05:05 PM

How much is too much? For the hosing, cleaning and adding ointments.

Horsel02 08-20-2010 05:11 PM

I have not used it but I have heard Vetericyn works really well.

leonalee 08-20-2010 05:17 PM

A horse at our barn was taken out by it's owner to go camping for a week: they got home a week later with a nasty but healing scar on her right front coronet band. Apparently she spooked and with her overstride (she's gaited) she clipped herself badly enough (full set of shoes) that, were it anywhere else, she would have gotten stiches. The vet gave the owner furezol (I'm not sure if this is the same as furezone, which we use on cuts at our farm), and bandages. It is a lot like a antiobiotic ointment in horsey-form! Her foot looks great now, just a small scar! I hope your boy heals quickly and without incident!

flamingauburnmustang 08-20-2010 05:27 PM

As the others suggested, do what the vet said. I think that's your best shot.

I'm not going to be of any help in advice, but you have to realize how important it is to keep it clean. If an infection sets in, it could be very dangerous for your horse, especially at his age. So whatever you do, make sure it doesn't get infected by keeping it clean. :wink:

Keep us posted on how the healing progress goes. :smile: