The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Do we have scratches? (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/do-we-have-scratches-62845/)

Woodsy 08-20-2010 10:07 PM

Do we have scratches?

I recently purchased two Belgian Crosses and as I was doing a thorough grooming today I noticed scab like growths under their feathers. A couple were very small and unnoticeable but they each had one leg with a larger one king of sticking out a bit.

I though they were clumps of mud at first. They are not open sores or anything and are not bleeding or oozing.

Any thoughts would be very helpful. Also treatments of you know any. Thanks so much!

masatisan 08-20-2010 10:38 PM

The big matching growths are normal, not sure about the others though.

lilruffian 08-20-2010 10:41 PM

All the same, if you are worried i use Swat. I find it works well for scabs as well as scratches (just incase). Lather that on & repeat every other day or so.

Solon 08-20-2010 10:55 PM

My Percheron sometimes gets the little scabs in that area. SWAT didn't work for that (works great for bug bites). I'd say as long as it's not bothering the horse probably don't need to worry about it. It's never bothered my boy. He's only got a tiny bit of feathering.

You can shave the area completely and use a medicated shampoo if it's a big concern to you.

azarni 08-23-2010 03:59 PM

Are you sure it's not your horses' ergots you're seeing? They're generally more prominent on drafts, like chestnuts.

FancyAppy 08-25-2010 02:51 AM

My Shire has scratches and they often look raw and can bleed. Iy is very nasty looking and causes the feathers to come out as yhe horse rubs the affected area . I have them under control but it can get pretty bad.

Alicia 08-25-2010 10:57 PM

Did you clip the area from feathers?
When I got my gelding he had something that looked like scratches on his front right foot. It sounds silly but I used Desitin for diaper rash, and it worked. I washed the area with Dettol, then patted is dry, then let it air dry while I brushed him and did some groundwork. Then before putting him out to pasture I thoroughly coated it with Desitin. I did this everyday and it went away.

mumiinek 08-30-2010 06:15 AM

I also think you're talking about ergots. Look here Horse Chestnuts and Ergots though it doesn't show a photo of them. My friesian has them (and quite large I must say), I was always worried that it's because they're matted as the previous owner didn't care for my horse at all but just two days ago I asked my farrier about them (I always forgot to ask before) and he said that it's totally normal, that you won't see it on a warmblood but it's common with heavy horses. I'm very much possitive that's what you're talking about. As fas as I know you can trim them just like you can trim chestnuts (and I'm planning to, my horse's ergots are really long). If you'd like I can take a photo of my horse's ergots so you can see if that's what your horse has better.

Woodsy 08-30-2010 08:03 AM

Ok it is probably the ergots. Thanks so much everyone! Ill ask my farrier to trim them down because they are super long too.

mumiinek 08-30-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mumiinek (Post 733951)
...I was always worried that it's because they're matted...

I meant "I was always worried that it's because my horse's feathers are matted", I left it out :lol: