The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   To Breed or Not To Breed? That is the Question! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/breed-not-breed-question-62884/)

lilruffian 08-21-2010 02:54 PM

To Breed or Not To Breed? That is the Question!

6 Attachment(s)
Ok, so i've had several years experience with breeding, & have had 2 foals out of my own older Welsh, QH cross mare in 2008 & 2009 at the age of 16 & 17. I wasn't too worried about it, because she was in good condition & had had 2 foals in the past before i owned her.
My aunt also has a couple older broodmares who are still producing healthy foals, but again, they have experience.
What i'm thinking is that i would love to breed my Arabian mare to a particular Friesian stallion possibly next spring. I would like a foal out of her before she's way too old & don't want to cross a horse that gorgous with my new mare (not that she doesn;t have great looks herself, but she's not my desired cross to this stud).
Chico is a wonderful riding horse with alot of spirit & she's healthy, however she will be 17 next year & i have no clue whether she's ever been bred. The chances are good, but who knows? Im trying to get ahold of her previous owners to find out.
What i want opinions on is whether i should try for next year:-|
The foal will be for me (i've always wanted a friesian or friesian cross but it's too expensive to go out & buy one!)
I would get Chico vet checked beforehand of course to see what they say...
Here's a pic of her & of the stud:wink:

equiniphile 08-21-2010 03:08 PM

Wow, that stud and your mare are both gorgeous.

What do you want in a foal? Do the mare or stallion have the attributes you'd want in a foal, or something you want to carry on? Is your only concern the mare's health?

Piaffe 08-21-2010 03:30 PM

I think it would make a fantastic cross!
Posted via Mobile Device

lilruffian 08-21-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 725958)
Wow, that stud and your mare are both gorgeous.

What do you want in a foal? Do the mare or stallion have the attributes you'd want in a foal, or something you want to carry on? Is your only concern the mare's health?

I want a horse that's pretty of course (although not necessary :lol:. I simply lucked out with both of mine) but mostly one that is sensible & not too flighty. I love the stallion for several reasons; hes my 2nd favorite breed, hes gorgeous & according to the owners very well mannered, plus he lives near me & the fee is $800.00.
The mare is one of the best horses i've owned. She's pretty, though i know her confo. is not perfect but that could potentially be bred out of her. I also love her disposition. She's not spooky at all, has a lovely gait & carries herself really well. She's also smart (although rather impatient!:-P) and puts up with anything!
Black is also my favorite color & both are completely solids (my mare does have 1 white sock, however). This isn't a must, however.

lilruffian 08-21-2010 04:22 PM

& Yes, the only concern is the mare's health ;)

bloxus5 08-21-2010 07:16 PM

she'll be fine, get her examined to make sure. Ive seen mares pop colts out a 25, and do just fine.

lilruffian 08-21-2010 07:25 PM

Oh i know im just concerned because it may be her first... I'll have to ask the vet next spring before i make any decisions & then contact the breeders maybe :D

SPhorsemanship 08-21-2010 07:26 PM

I think your mare will by fine, I've seen a mare have foals over 30 years old! (she is a shetland though)

lilruffian 08-21-2010 07:33 PM

My aunt has a 25 year old TB mare (she's owned her for 3 years) who's been a broodmare since she was 5! She looks it though. Practically no muscle left on her topline & is quiet swayed from carrying foals but i think this year was her last year.
Last summer, one of my favorite mares on the ranch; a paint mare we called Sweetheart, passed away within ours after foaling. She believe something must have tore during the birth & she had internal bleeding. She was 20 ;(
The baby survived though. Very pretty little girl!
This would be the worst case for me, but i'm beginning to really think we will be fine lol

ilovemyPhillip 08-21-2010 08:48 PM

I agree with everyone else, good luck!