The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse With Bad Manners (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-bad-manners-62897/)

Stella 08-21-2010 04:59 PM

Horse With Bad Manners

I ride a jumper horse named Lara and she is very rude and pushy. She apparently has some problem with settling who is the leader...
I'm a beginner myself, how do I deal with her?

Scoutrider 08-21-2010 05:13 PM

It's kind of a broad question, but the short answer is to set limits and boundaries, and enforce them. Bit like parenting, really. :lol:

For example, if she pushes into your space, drive her out. Back her away, or yield her forehand/hindquarter (whatever portion of her anatomy is in the way) away from you. If she won't respond to your body language (hard eyes, raised energy, pushing her with your hands), you may need a dressage whip or NH-style stick to back up your request. Once she moves her feet out of your space, go back to doing what you were doing.

Take no crap, but be fair. Neither nag nor beat.

I assume from the phrasing of your OP that you're working with a trainer/instructor? If so, he/she should be able to guide you in person, and give you some more specific insights. If not, and your difficulties escalate, I recommend enlisting the help of a more experienced horseman to help you out.

Best of luck! :-)

Stella 08-21-2010 05:34 PM

Thank you so much, Scoutrider!!!

Stella 08-21-2010 05:35 PM

Wait a sec.. C. S. lewis? What does he know about horses?

SPhorsemanship 08-21-2010 05:53 PM

I don't think you should have been put with that horse in the first place before learning ground skills or how to handle this particular horse. How bad is the horse? She shouldn't be too bad if they put a less experienced person with her(no offense).

Could you give examples of what she does?

Scoutrider 08-21-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stella (Post 726084)
Wait a sec.. C. S. lewis? What does he know about horses?

Ha ha, not much that I know of, but I do believe that the quote is from The Horse and His Boy. Love the Narnia books. :wink:

Northern 08-21-2010 08:20 PM

If she's scaring you, you're with the wrong horse, beginner that you are. If you're just over the first edge out of your comfort zone & want to deal with her for your skill development, then tally ho! You can always change your mind if the waters get too deep & murky! Your instructor must respect your decisions here, or you should find another who will.

Absolutely no shame in not wanting to deal with her, to start your horsemanship journey.

SPhorsemanship 08-21-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern (Post 726213)
If she's scaring you, you're with the wrong horse, beginner that you are. If you're just over the first edge out of your comfort zone & want to deal with her for your skill development, then tally ho! You can always change your mind if the waters get too deep & murky! Your instructor must respect your decisions here, or you should find another who will.

Absolutely no shame in not wanting to deal with her, to start your horsemanship journey.

I completely agree(I don't think the horse is too dangerous anyway) but I think she she be told what to do because she has little experience.

Stella 08-22-2010 02:13 PM

Oh sorry I had to get off early.
THe problem is she's a really nice ride actually. I trust my instructor who gave me this lesson horse, I don't want to give up. I just want to learn how to deal with her better. I know that I can fix it. THe biggest problem is that she is a school horse and lots of other beginners ride her and they might not be trying to break the habit. THank you for the advice though, I'm new to the forum so I didn't think I'd be getting so much help!

Stella 08-22-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPhorsemanship (Post 726097)
I don't think you should have been put with that horse in the first place before learning ground skills or how to handle this particular horse. How bad is the horse? She shouldn't be too bad if they put a less experienced person with her(no offense).

Could you give examples of what she does?

She turns around when you are grooming her, she pushes her head up to you, she is really bad when you pick up her feet. Good thing I have western boots with hard tips, she stomped on me a few weeks ago:-(

She doesn't literally try to hurt you, she is just very pushy and has no respect for your space:?