The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Heelllp! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/heelllp-62904/)

xostallion 08-21-2010 07:22 PM

Heelllp!

Im not even sure if this would go under grooming BUTTT i have a major question!

I live by 2 ponds, which = major misquotes and i swear ive tried everything. We still get eaten alive and i dont want to not ride my horses. Ive tried that bronco that you can buy at UFA (in alberta) and someone told me that Listerine and water works and i found that it does but only if your doing basic stuff like lunging and stuff in the pen but when i go for rides down the road i still notice that we get attacked. I dont use OFF because it has a chemical thats harmful to my horses.

Is there anything anybody can suggest that is cheap and would work so we can still go out? I live in Alberta Canada so if you know then can you list their prices so i know.

Thank you!

PaintedFury 08-21-2010 11:26 PM

I personally use either Pyrahna or Tri-Tec 14. Pyrahna is usually $19.95 a 32 oz bottle, and Tri-Tec 14 is usually $22.95 a 32 oz bottle. Both are a little pricey, but work great. The Tri-Tec 14 actually builds up and after about 2-3 days of using it, it will last for 2 weeks between spays. That's one reason I like it. The Pyrahna has a grooming aide in it, and makes the horse really shiney! They both have their advantages, but I prefer the Tri-Tec 14 myself.

KANSAS_TWISTER 08-21-2010 11:40 PM

i use some thing like that.,,,it out in the barn i'll look at time in the morning but it was roughly 15 bucks.....have you scanned canadian tire for some of that nature?

mom2pride 08-21-2010 11:41 PM

I second TriTech. Endure is also really good.

I know Apple Cider Vinegar works on biting flies, I'm not sure about mosquitoes, as we don't have as many of those 'in town' where I board. I feed it in their pellets each day...2-3 tablespoons usually, but you can add more if you want, as it won't hurt the horse.

reining girl 08-22-2010 12:54 AM

bronco sucks, i swear that stuff only works for 30 seconds. I used a fly spray called Flysect and that stuff worked AMAZING for me. It literally KILLED any bug that happend to be on my horse while i was spraying it onto them. And then it repelled for like a whole week. Unfortunantly the only place i can find it is on horse.com i cant find it at any of my local feed stores. maybe its illegal in oregon lol. but anyways if you can find it, i would say give it a try.

xostallion 08-23-2010 08:18 PM

Thank you. Does that tri tec come in Canada? It seems pricy but I'm about ready to try anything an if you guys say that it works for like two weeks then it might he worth looking into.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alicia 08-23-2010 08:47 PM

I completely understand what your going through. I can't seem to find anything that'll work for mosquitos either (not long term anyway). I swear the mosquitos here are super mosquitos and can bite through anything.
I have read on some websites that 'OFF' is ok on horses (during those times when you're all going out of your mind), just be sure to spray it away from feed, water and their eyes (I think I would spray it anywhere on their bodies where they can't ingest it at all).

MyBoyPuck 08-23-2010 08:54 PM

If you can stand the stink, garlic is fantastic for repelling mosquitos. I've never used it in an external capacity, but I used to be a snack for mosquitos. Once I started eating garlic, they stopped biting. Maybe you could make up a spray of garlic powder and water?

shaker 08-23-2010 09:52 PM

Bronco is useless.

I use Ultrashield.:wink:

PintoTess 08-23-2010 10:13 PM

why dont you just use the simple spray?
or you could use a fly ru...it would help xD:-)