The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique Hand Gallop/Gallop Up a Hill (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-hand-gallop-gallop-up-hill-62907/)

AngelWithoutWings54 08-21-2010 08:37 PM

Critique Hand Gallop/Gallop Up a Hill

This is me and my horse hand galloping/galloping up a hill (please tell me if it's hand galloping or regular galloping... to me it looks like he starts off in a gallop then comes down to a hand gallop). Please critique my position and whatnot. :-)

ThatNinjaHorse 08-21-2010 09:17 PM

Looks like a slow hand gallop to me. No critique from me though, you look pretty secure

AngelWithoutWings54 08-21-2010 09:20 PM

^^ Slow? It feels a lot faster when your up there. xD

Thanks for the critique, or should I say non-critique? It's good to know that there's nothing to fix... Makes me feel a lot better about doing stuff like this.

eventerdrew 08-21-2010 09:21 PM

You look really secure! Good job!

I agree that it does look like a slower hand gallop though. Try pushing him out a bit more and then you'll have it!

AngelWithoutWings54 08-21-2010 09:23 PM

Hmmm... Maybe next time I'll carry a crop... Hehehe... I have gotten him at an actual gallop before, only for a couple of strides, and then he bucked (out of joy and excitement). Too bad my dad didn't have his video camera then... Would have been interesting to see...

It's such a relief to know that I look secure. I always feel bad when someone tells me there's something wrong with my position. lol.

lilruffian 08-21-2010 09:23 PM

I love how he runs with his tail up, just like my mare! Go Arabs! lol
Your horse runs ncie & normal, though, whereas my mare Chico runs like Peppy Lephew (or so several people at my gymkhana group as well as my dad have been kind enough to point out!)
As for his gallop, in a hand gallop the horse should not pick up enough speed to lose the 3-beat rhythm of the canter. Your horse seems to be hand galloping, although in the 2nd video, near the end he picks up some speed ;)
Here's a video of a hand gallop to compare.

eventerdrew 08-21-2010 09:26 PM

great example lilruffian!

AngelWithoutWings54 08-21-2010 09:26 PM

Huh... in that video it looked like a regular canter... Haha. You might be able to tell I don't usually go fast. xD

And I totally agree. GO ARABS!!!

lilruffian 08-21-2010 09:28 PM

I'll have to get a good video of my mare ha ha so that everyone can laugh!
We were thinking of doing a costume thing & if so ima paint some white stripes down her back!

AngelWithoutWings54 08-21-2010 09:30 PM

Haha I'd love to see your mare! She's gorgeous from what I can tell by pictures! My barn just got a new lesson horse- he's an older draft cross, he's big and black with a white patch that runs on both sides of his neck right above his withers. I love those big, black horses!