The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Refresher course, will it help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/refresher-course-will-help-6291/)

Vidaloco 02-23-2008 06:41 AM

Refresher course, will it help?

A some of you know I took a bad fall this winter. Anyway, my confidence isn't what it used to be. A really good friend of mine boards and trains horses plus gives lessons. My husband wants me to board Vida there for a few weeks and go for daily lessons with her. I have to admit I'm sometimes terrified when Vida goes through anything that might make her slip like mud or even going down the incline to cross our creek. Stuff that I used to think was fun now gives me fits of fear. I just can't seem to be able to get over it. I've fallen off lots of horses, but never got hurt beyond a few bruises and a chipped tooth. This last one really threw my confidence out the window. Do you think its a good idea to go for the lessons, will it help? Or should I just get back in the saddle and ride ride ride?

quixotesoxs 02-23-2008 09:44 AM

I would say the lessons would be great. Any little habits that you've picked up over time can be corrected, and you and Vida can get used to each other all over again. If it were me, I would do it.

upnover 02-23-2008 10:35 AM

I agree, it never hurts to take a lesson or two! It might help riding in a controlled environment where you have another set of eyes watching what you're doing. But keep in mind that it's not a cure-all and that you're probably going to still feel some fear regardless of where you are. I think time and hours in the saddle with a good horse are the best ways to cure that. And don't get down on yourself for feeling fear! Everyone should feel some, and can you blame yourself after what's happened? It's how you handle that fear that's important!

JustDressageIt 02-23-2008 02:52 PM

I miss my lessons! Took them at least once a week for 15 years, now I've gone without for a few years, and it's very strange...

I think a refresher is great for anyone!! Lucky you have a very supportive hubby :)
Plus who knows, maybe these refresher lessons with your friend will be a fun confidence builder!

AKPaintLover 02-23-2008 09:42 PM

Lessons can be great, but... will you be taught anything you do not already know? Emergency dismount? tactics to keep a horse from slipping? It seems that the controlled environment of the arena is not the place to regain confidence of the uncontrolled trail. I don't think it would hurt to take lessons, I just don't know if it would help.

I am more of the opinion that you might just need to get out there and ride, ride, ride. Start with really short rides around your property for a while. Then venture a bit farther, and so on. Take care to keep it nice and easy. Pick easy terrain for a while. Follow every safety precaution. Ride with someone else and let them lead the way. :)

Was it a fall that Vida had that got you hurt, or did she actually do something wrong. If it is the latter, lessons might be helpful, but if she fell, I think it is just a matter of getting out there and doing it.

horseylover1_1 02-23-2008 10:23 PM

If it were me, lessons would not be the right course or action. After all, like AK said, you know this stuff. I would reccomend you go with other ppl, and if you don't already, USE A WESTERN SADDLE. It has more support, and if you feel yourself slipping grab on the horn. I also reccomend a very flat trail, steady horse. If you only own one, you can use a friends. But, maybe if you think: 'I have fallen before. The last one was worse, but I'm okay. It is all part of horsemanship' it can work.

Hope it helps! :D

Vidaloco 02-24-2008 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the replys. I do only have the one horse I can ride, the others are too young. It wasn't anything my horse did, the fall was my fault. I just lost my balance at a gallop. I talked to my friend about the lessons and she has a pretty good idea about what needs to be done. They have about 5-6 miles of pretty rough trails that we will work our way up to, but she does think I should start in the arena with some obsticles and mounted games to get my mind back on the horse and off the fear. Plus she is only going to charge me for the board not the lessons. She understands that its confidence building lessons rather than "teach me how to ride" lessons. I will hit her up about the emergency dismount though, and I need to teach Vida to drag something beside her so in case I ever get caught in the stirrup she won't freak out. I really like this gal and feel very comfortable sharing my feelings with her so all in all I think it will be a good thing. Darn, I hate to say my husband had a good idea :wink:

upnover 02-24-2008 01:41 PM

Wow, that's a pretty sweet deal! Sounds like a fantastic plan! Even if you know a lot about horses and riding it's always nice to have another pair of eyes on the ground and she might offer some training tips you didn't know. I mean, do we ever get to the point where we're 'too good' to need lessons? Even the US Equestrian Team has a coach!

meggymoo 02-24-2008 04:19 PM

Hiya,

I think its a great idea Vida. I can relate to how you feel, because I was exactly the same after my bad fall. (the one where half my butt cheek was hanging off)
Although I didn't need lessons as in teaching, I needed someone to give me a confidence boost. I felt I had great support having someone on the ground. Someone to just give me that bit more encouragement, someone to just give me that extra nudge. It worked wonders for me. I'd definatley recommend it. :wink: