The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   horse hoof experts i need some advice (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/horse-hoof-experts-i-need-some-62933/)

reining girl 08-22-2010 01:47 AM

horse hoof experts i need some advice

So i recently put a thred up about my horse http://www.horseforum.com/horse-ridi...-i-dont-62667/

and it was pointed out to me (guess i was just blind and didnt want to see it, whatever you want to say) that her front feet are, lack for a better word, f'd up. Im not sure if it is just her hoofs are screwed up or if it is my farrier if it is my farrier then ill have to get a new one, which sucks because he is by far the best farrier i have had as in he actualy shows up for the appointment and calls a day ahead to remind you. But i want to know if there is something that can be done to correct them or if i am just screwed. and if i am screwed then o well, nothing i can do about it then, lesson learned. Anyways if i need better pictures, ill have to get them tomarow or monday, but tell me what kind of pics i need. And then please tell me what needs to be done as i really no nothing when it comes to the hoofs.

payette 08-22-2010 02:09 AM

I'm no expert, at all, but they just look really long. I reccomend to anyone with hoof issues the website: www.barefoothorse.com. Personally, I'm a big fan of barefoot- while it may not work well for everyone, it works well for many, many horses.
If she were my horse, I would nip off ALL the long hoof wall all the way around, and try to get as much of her frog touching the ground as possible. Her heels could probably be shortened up quite a lot.
Definitely give that website a read through. In the past I've emailed the woman who publishes the site, and she very promptly replied with excellent suggestions on the hoof issues I was worried about. Definitely a fantastic resource.
Good luck with your mare. Her feet are long, but if she were mine I would definitely not give up on her!:D

reining girl 08-22-2010 02:19 AM

does she charge you for questions?? If i sent her some photos of my horses feet do you think she would look at them and tell me what needs to be done?

reining girl 08-22-2010 02:24 AM

looking threw her photo gallery if you click on gallery 2 and then fine the pictures #11A and B i think my horses feet look like that or they look like #16A and B what do you think?

payette 08-22-2010 02:26 AM

No, she never charged me anything, and she offered really great advice when I inherited a 29 year old qh gelding with terrible foundered feet. I really hope you can get your mare's feet back on track. She is such a cutie- hopefully she'll be sound and healthy for years to come!

payette 08-22-2010 02:27 AM

hmm- give me a minute and I'll take a look at them.

reining girl 08-22-2010 02:31 AM

im hoping she will be sound for years to come, she is only 6. i just hope its not to late and the serious damage has already been done.

payette 08-22-2010 02:31 AM

They look like both of those examples, I think. Seeing a picture of the undersides of the hoof would be interesting. Both of those examples have long toes and kind of underslung heels. Is she sound when you ride her? If so, I think a couple really good trims and she'd look a world of better.

Gidget 08-22-2010 02:31 AM

they ...I'm not no pro..but they do look long and just..oddly shaped.

payette 08-22-2010 02:34 AM

Even if some "damage" is already done, hoofs are great at growing into the best and most functional shape they can, when trimmed and maintained in the best way for that individual horse. As long as there is no dramatic joint or tendon/ligament damage, I can't see any reason why she won't be sound well into old age. Best of luck with her!