The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Blondie has a new haircut after years of neglect! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/blondie-has-new-haircut-after-years-62935/)

AlyandPalominoBlondie 08-22-2010 01:23 AM

Blondie has a new haircut after years of neglect!

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my new baby. Adopted her a few weeks ago. She was stuck in a barbed wire round pen with barely any room to run around. I cut her tangled hair nice and pretty and gave her Lady Gaga bangs, haha!!!

However, her tail is still a HUGE tangled knot. I have been combing through it for 2 days but am still not even halfway done. Is it worth just cutting it off and letting it regrow? I'm afraid the flies will eat up her legs if I do that. Suggestions? Comments? Critiques on the hair?

Attachment 38489

Attachment 38490

Gidget 08-22-2010 01:29 AM

She is gorgeous...she looks like a gaga fan now,haha

Errr, I don't think i would cut her tail if I were you because flies can be an issue during the summer and she would be miserable. Is there a picture you can show us of how bad her tail is?..is it matted or just tangled bad?

AlyandPalominoBlondie 08-22-2010 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 726424)
She is gorgeous...she looks like a gaga fan now,haha

Errr, I don't think i would cut her tail if I were you because flies can be an issue during the summer and she would be miserable. Is there a picture you can show us of how bad her tail is?..is it matted or just tangled bad?

It's terribly matted! I can't even comb through it. :-( No picture, sorry.

Chiilaa 08-22-2010 01:38 AM

Does she really need her tail? The flies won't be able to see her legs, too busy trying to see her poker face teeheehee

Umm I read in a different thread to try WD40. Also could try baby oil, it will make it grossly oily but you can always wash it.

Gidget 08-22-2010 01:42 AM

you know CHiilaa might have a point...how bad are the flies in your area? Are you able to go and put fly spray on her a couple times a day..the sweat proof kind would be best if you chop he tail off.

If it's matted like you say you might have to chop it off and regrow it. instead of swishing her tail she'll wag...will there be any hair left if you chop it? if so you might be able to tie in some strings in the remaining tail to help her swish away flies..just an idea.

AlyandPalominoBlondie 08-22-2010 01:49 AM

Yeah, it's Florida and the whole area is a bunch of woods. Flies are pretty bad. I think I'll go ahead and chop it off and let it regrow. The strings and sweat proof fly spray are REALLY good ideas! Thanks for everyone's help!

sinsin4635 08-22-2010 04:59 AM

I would'nt chop it! I got my boys tail out with WD40 & a little elbow grease.

Deerly 08-22-2010 12:26 PM

Awww she's so cute! My palomino got the same hair cut!

I'd really try to save her tail if at all possible... or at least as much of it as possible. Use conditioner conditioner conditioner and really grease the thing down. WD40 is a great idea, haha!

lilkitty90 08-22-2010 01:29 PM

OH MY! she's pretty! even with the funky lady gaga bangs! we had a horse with a SEVERELY matted tail. it was about 3-4 inchesi n diameter and ran all the way up to the tail bone. and we went to a clinic and got this stuff for free from them. and we put it in it and brush the mat right out. and i can't remember what it was but it was in a little bottle because it was a sample and the little bottle was black. man i wish i could remember what it was!

equiniphile 08-22-2010 03:34 PM

Don't cut the tail, apply a liberal amount of Cowboy Magic and get to work ;-)