The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Am I a Good Rider? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/am-i-good-rider-62957/)

Stella 08-22-2010 03:32 PM

Am I a Good Rider?

Im a beginner rider. Ive been riding for a year, all english. Recently, I learn to jump at a trot and how to canter. This girl that was in my lesson jumped on her sixth lesson.

Also, ive cantered before. My lesson horse started cantering by mistake on my seventh lesson. I decided to try it out nice and proper on the lunge line. It went well. but after, she lurched in to a canter off the lunge line, real awkward and I just slid off. Don't ask me why. I just got a bunch of bruises but also this awful fear of cantering. I just got over it and started again, but I feel like an awful rider, especially with the jumping thing.:cry:

kitten_Val 08-22-2010 04:12 PM

Jumping is not all that easy to start even for someone with riding experience. Also a year of riding lessons (given you just ride once a week) is indeed not all that much. Dont' be disappointed. I know some barns where people start jumping very soon, and IMHO it's very dangerous. You have to establish good trot/canter before you go into jumping. Just take things slowly, everyone has own speed. I assure you good canter will come with experience!

Stella 08-22-2010 09:07 PM

Thank you... I guess that you're right

A knack for horses 08-22-2010 09:44 PM

I had practiced loping for 3 years before I got a beautiful, collected, proper lope. And in that time, I have fallen off twice while riding at the lope. (once while bareback and the second was in a WP class. The horse heard my instructor talking and she did this weird short stride and I sailed through the air)It will come, but only with practice.

And I'm not an english rider, but it seems to me jumping on your sixth lesson is dangerous. I jumped a few times (unintentionally) and the first time I ended up indian style hanging off the side of the horse with my legs wrapped around her belly. And that was after 5 YEARS of riding.

And another thing my previous instructor told me after I fell off bareback, "You aren't a good rider until you've fallen off a few times."

RadHenry09 08-22-2010 09:54 PM

My daughter has starting to canter and she has fallen off at the canter. She has been riding english for almost a year. I agree with Kitten Val that you shouldnt be doing any jumping until you have master a very solid/balanced canter. Do not let it get you down, sometimes certain skills take longer to master. My daughter has been having a terrible time with the correct diagnol until recently. She rides maybe 4-5 times a week with lessons on her horse about twice a month.
With practice everything will start to fall into place. : )

Kayty 08-22-2010 11:54 PM

No one can tell you if you're a good rider or not without seeing you ride. As a beginner, of course you're not a 'great' rider, but you may be a 'good beginner'.
If you have a good, solid foundation in your riding - quiet hands, a solid leg and stable, balanced seat and upper body, then yes, you are a good beginner. If you're flopping around all over the place, with legs swinging, hanging off the horses mouth of pulling back on the mouth all the time, then you're probably quite a 'raw' beginner and would benefit from some lessons on the lunge with no reins and stirrups to improve your core stability.

We all fall off, I would say that you falling off when the horse picked up canter probably indicates that you don't have a very balanced/solid seat at this stage. I would go back to really concentrating on your seat, balance and position in general for a while before you have another go at cantering.

Stella 08-24-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 727269)
No one can tell you if you're a good rider or not without seeing you ride. As a beginner, of course you're not a 'great' rider, but you may be a 'good beginner'.
If you have a good, solid foundation in your riding - quiet hands, a solid leg and stable, balanced seat and upper body, then yes, you are a good beginner. If you're flopping around all over the place, with legs swinging, hanging off the horses mouth of pulling back on the mouth all the time, then you're probably quite a 'raw' beginner and would benefit from some lessons on the lunge with no reins and stirrups to improve your core stability.

We all fall off, I would say that you falling off when the horse picked up canter probably indicates that you don't have a very balanced/solid seat at this stage. I would go back to really concentrating on your seat, balance and position in general for a while before you have another go at cantering.

Yeah we do two pint canter so back then, my two point was leaning on the horses neck. I think she put her head down and next thing I know...BIG BRUISE!

corporate pride 08-24-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stella (Post 728449)
Yeah we do two pint canter so back then, my two point was leaning on the horses neck. I think she put her head down and next thing I know...BIG BRUISE!

doing a canter in a 2 point position is hard work and it takes alot of balance and an inpedent seat. i have been riding for 4 years before i did that.
the trick with the 2 point cantering is that u need to hold yourself in the position and not lean on the horse at all. you may rest your hands on the horses neck but not use it to balance.
the way i wa taught to canter is this: sit deep, hold onto the saddle with the reins in one hand and canter on a straight. but i didn't truly learn to canter untill my 3rd horse and 2 years later. you need to stay in the saddle and open up your thighs and not tense. and follow the movement with your hips.
you won't get this straight away but i say you need practice. keep you butt in the saddle, sit up and relax. if your not sure of control do it on a lunge line with somoeone experienced that will look after you.
i bought my first horse after 2 months of lessons and i was hopeless! don't be too paranoid about it, you will get there in the end just like everyone :)
if a hopeless rider like me can get it then you will ;)

dedebird 08-24-2010 02:14 AM

i'm know how you feel about that girl jumping on her sixth lesson i was at camp and this girl who has never riden before got to canter on the second to last day >:O i know how to canter and all but i haven't cantered yet at that particular stable it didn't seem fair but then i felt better when she almost fell off n.n' i know i'm sorry i'm evil but but... its not fair >:O anyway

i'm sure your a good rider right now i actually am afriad of the canter too (sorta) i think i'm finally ready to canter cause its been awhile i'm rareing to go xD anyway i'm sure soon you'll feel like that i wasn't allowed to canter for awhile it made me want to canter but i'm positive you'll canter and then jump!

Brithorse1996 08-24-2010 09:15 AM

Learning to jump in her 6th lesson :O

Doesn't sound to safe to me.I've been riding for nearly 5 years I learnt to jump like 1ft jumps in trot after about a year, learnt to canter (and actually steer at the same time:-P) this year(after 3 years) and recently have started doing about 2ft6 jumps and being allowed to canter out on hacks.

I've fallen 4 times so far. The first time I was bucked off 2nd while jumping about 1ft something I just kinda slid off 3rd time, I was doing stirupp less cantering for the first time and slid off and hurt myself (invisible bruise on bum and back, and hip and lower spine clicking for a couple of days plus not being able to stretch one of my legs out XD) and 4th time riding a horse that didn't like jumping and I did a somersault into a jump.
The last 3 falls in the space of 4 months :-P so I know how you feel.

It's gonna take time and I have a feeling your friend is probably going to end up getting hurt before you. But keep your chin up and try to be the best YOU can be not the best out of everyone else:-)