The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   We got lost on the trail today! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/we-got-lost-trail-today-62997/)

sandy2u1 08-22-2010 11:42 PM

We got lost on the trail today!

My daughter and I went trail riding today. We had a couple of other friends going with us (people who knew the trail better), but they both backed out on us. Not wanting to miss the chance to ride, we went on anyway. A while down the trail, you have to turn off into the woods to get to where we are going. Well evidently we turned at the wrong place. We kept riding deeper and deeper into the woods. We had to ride through briars, bushes, vines, etc. We knew we were off the trail, but was hoping to run into the right one any time. I finally whoa'd my horse and looked around and realized there where no trails in sight...just woods. So I did what any smart trail rider would do and gave my horse his head and let him find his way back to the barn. He knew exactly the right way to go and we made it home safely. On the way back home, my daughter said that she had heard people talk about how horses can find their way back home, but never believed it until today. My daughter learned something today, so to my way of thinking, we had a very successful trail ride. Not to mention that both of our horses proved themselves to be very very good trail horses by dealing with that difficult terrain without fear and hesitation.

stacieandtheboys 08-23-2010 12:02 PM

Cool story :) Glad yall ended back safe and sound!

Mackieb 08-23-2010 12:07 PM

That reminds me, about a year ago, I was hiking with my girl scout troop, we got lost and ended up at Monro Muffler, 2 miles from where we were supposed to end :D

smrobs 08-23-2010 01:05 PM

That's awesome! Sounds like one heck of a good ride. Glad your horses were so good about everything. :D

sandy2u1 08-23-2010 01:07 PM

stacieandtheboys- Thanks. It was our horses that saved us on that one...we had no idea which way to go. They got treats when they got home :wink:

Mackieb- It's really easy to get lost in a wooded area that you don't know that well, huh?

sandy2u1 08-23-2010 02:01 PM

smrobs- Sorry I missed your post. Thanks. We are very proud of them.

BarrelRacer86 08-23-2010 04:01 PM

that's never fun, happened to me and my mom once when it was getting dark out. We ended up following my dog home who had tagged along lol.

glad you made it back

sandy2u1 08-24-2010 02:23 AM

BarrelRacer86- Isn't it interesting how animals know their way home!

It really was exciting and scary at the same time. My biggest fear was having my 13 year old daughter with me. Had she been on any other horse at the barn besides her 25 year old been there done that horse, I would have made her get off and walk. The old girl took excellent care of my daughter and never so much as batted an eyelash at anything in front of us.

dedebird 08-24-2010 02:27 AM

LOL i live in the desert so its literaly impossible to get lost i go as far as i want just look over my shoulder yup its still there >3< xD its pretty cool don't go on many of those anymore xD

sandy2u1 08-24-2010 02:59 AM

dedebird- you know the funny thing is, I didn't even realize we were so far away from the trails until we where. We had to go around and change directions a lot because of obstacles. Nothing unusual there really. The deeper we got though, the more we had to change directions. It wasn't long until I looked around and could see no trails and had no idea which direction we were going in. I should have been paying more attention and realized how far we were off the trail....I know that. Luckily for us, our horses knew which way home was.