The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   People are stupid. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/people-stupid-63017/)

stacieandtheboys 08-23-2010 09:52 AM

People are stupid.

So yesterday I see that my neighbor has put a mare that she rescued in the land next door to us. It is over grown with crap, mostly mesquites and cactus, and really has no good grass or anything nutritional. This mare is probably a 1 or 2 on the body scale. She has had her for 2 months and I think the mare looks worse than she did when she got her...not because she isn't feeding her but she isn't feeding her what she needs to get her to a healthy weight. So we are talking and she said yeah we put her over here so she could get some good grass..whatever I think to myself and then she proceeds to tell me that they exposed her to the stud down the road :shock: I bet the look on my face showed what I was thinking but I said "Why would you do that?? She is to skinny to be bred!!" She said that the mare wanted it :shock: (umm she is an animal and that is instinct nothing else) and said she probably didn't take anyway. She said that she wanted to breed her other horse but her husband said no...so they bred this poor poor sad looking mare. I am just sooooooo irritated with her. She is the same one who won't get her cats fixed. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I have half a mind to buy the mare off of her. Hmmm maybe I should. Oh and I think this mare is in her teens. 18 maybe??? UGHH I AM JUST SO DISGUSTED!

corinowalk 08-23-2010 09:59 AM

Play into her stupid. Tell her you went home that night and thought of how much you wanted a 'wittle baby horsey' so bad...that you are willing to give her a crisp one hundred dollar bill for her...just incase she is bred. Sounds like you would be doing the mare a huge favor.

I hate these types. Can't take care of what they have but yet its okay to make more.

Goose 08-23-2010 10:19 AM

That is so sad... I agree with corinowalk, see if you can buy this mare if you have the room, if not, just find someone with plenty of pasture she can just be turned out in, and have her vet checked for pregancy. don't know if they do this, but get her the morning after pill. she does not need to be with foal !!!!! if she is 18 years and in the shape you decribe, that could mean death for that poor mare.... maybe a vet could help her out cheap if you explain the situation....

MaggiStar 08-23-2010 10:20 AM

If she is as unhealthy as you say and possibly bred i think you should report her to a spca.
If this horse was rescueed then she deserves a better life then that

stacieandtheboys 08-23-2010 10:46 AM

I have a pic of her...I will have to post it. We don't have an SPCA around here. I suppose I would call the county? I don't know. I am sure though if I did call that my neighbor would say she has only had her a couple of months and is a rescue and is just having a hard time fattening her up. If I tell them about the possible pregnancy she will know it was me who called. She is my neighbor and I have to live next to her so that could get tricky. I doubt she would sell to me. She thinks that she is doing right by this horse.

stacieandtheboys 08-23-2010 10:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
She pretty much looks the same...maybe a little better. I don't think her tailbone sticks out as much but she is still super skinny.

Goose 08-23-2010 11:21 AM

IMOHA, she is very skinny, don't get me wrong, but I have seen worse, she is eating grass and I see hay on the ground in the back ground...granted she still SHOULD NOT BE PREGNANT.... buy maybe with some "help" from you she may turn out ok? even if you have to sneak some grain to her with something in it to help her gain some weight..... see if your neighbor will let you help...

stacieandtheboys 08-23-2010 11:29 AM

Yeah she is no longer there though. Where she is now there is no real pasture...just overgrown brush and little grass. NEighbor says she is feeding her beet pulp. She now has no access to hay which I think she needs more than grass. I dunno...gonna talk to my husband and see what he thinks.

MaggiStar 08-23-2010 11:29 AM

Dont sneak feed someone elses horse you have no idea what health implications that horse has.

Maybe talk to your neighbour is she educated on how to look after malnourished horses?
Say your going to the feed barn and if you want you can pick up her feed as well

farmpony84 08-23-2010 11:37 AM

I don't agree with breeding an animal that thin, I especially don't agree with breeding "just to get a baby" with no real knowledge or research. However a horse that is that thin will take months to gain weight back. It doesn't happen overnight. When I got mine, it took a good 6 months to get him to where you could see the results.

If that is where the horse is staying, then there is plenty of grass and hay. Is the owner feeding grain? Sometimes they just need to be properly educated on care and nutrition of horses. If you are really concerned then call animal control. They'll assess the situation and will be able to get the owner into contact with someone that knows what they are talking about when it comes to feed and care of horses.

Just be careful in this situation, these are your neighbors and you have to live next to them. I wouldn't make them angry since you could have a very uncomfortable living environment depending on what type of people they are.