The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   "Walking" Over The Jump? :O (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/walking-over-jump-o-63080/)

SorrelHorse 08-23-2010 09:42 PM

"Walking" Over The Jump? :O

So I started jumping about three years ago. I had ridden English for leg muscle all my life but never competed. Well, I also just retired my jumping mare Annie from the show ring because of her lameness issues. Now I'm training my rescue horse Rebel to be my new jumper/ cross country mount.

I had been jumping him over ghetto trail jumps because I haven't been able to get him to my trainers arena with all her clients. I finall got an opening today and my trainer is noting he "walks" over the jumps rather than actually jumping. Trainer says she has ideas for helping it, but we ran out of lesson time so we didn't get to actually do it. She is going to email me some pictures tonight so I'll get those, but for now how can I make his jumps cleaner without the half-hearted "walking"?
Posted via Mobile Device

dedebird 08-23-2010 09:59 PM

how high are the jumps i know most of the horses i know won't literaly jump unless its high enough for them to care thats just what has happened in my jumping

SorrelHorse 08-23-2010 10:05 PM

The jump isn't very high, just a few inches over a foot so I'd say 14-16 inches. That's what I was thinking too, and maybe I should just add a bit more height or make it more solid. Right now it's just a pole for him to jump.
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 08-23-2010 10:53 PM

My big guy used to do that too. Just came down to the jumps not being worth the effort for him. He was fine once they got high enough, or if he was doing gymnastics where he actually had to exert his fat self ;)

Stella 08-23-2010 11:50 PM

Try giving him a bit of a squeeze right before he takes off. Also, make the jump higher and more solid. And one last thing... make sure your position is solid, and that it isnt hindering your horse. Also, make sure you dont tug your horses mouth and making it hard for him to jump.

SorrelHorse 08-24-2010 12:20 AM

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll try those suggestions ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

haleylvsshammy 08-25-2010 10:43 PM

I agree with everybody else. I wouldn't be surprised if it just wasn't high enough for him to put in an effort. I wish my horse was like that *sigh* but he jump 10 inches (if even) like it's 2' haha but he's fun.

I would try raising it a bit, and make sure your position is correct. Have fun!

dedebird 08-27-2010 03:49 AM

^^ i know what you mean xD the lesson horse i ride jumps like crazy i don't jump high and i only jumped her once but i think thats the highest i ever jumped but the jump was tiny xD it was so much fun though

Bethy 09-08-2010 04:06 PM

is your pace good as well? I know horses run out of gas if they dont have enough pace...but be careful. I have seen horses Walk jumps and trip because they forgot to lift thier back legs! Its scary to know you can blow your horse on just a tiny jump.

mls 09-08-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 728323)
So I started jumping about three years ago. I had ridden English for leg muscle all my life but never competed. Well, I also just retired my jumping mare Annie from the show ring because of her lameness issues. Now I'm training my rescue horse Rebel to be my new jumper/ cross country mount.

Posted via Mobile Device

I am confused. You have never competed but are retiring your mare from the show ring?