The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   help! my horse is terrified of the clippers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/help-my-horse-terrified-clippers-6314/)

Gingerrrrr 02-23-2008 07:28 PM

help! my horse is terrified of the clippers

well i tried to clip my horses bridle path and shes okay with the buzzing noise but is TERRIFIED of the sound that it makes when your shaving the hair. shes freaks when i try to clip her bridle path or whiskers. help!!

Supermane 02-23-2008 07:47 PM

Was the horse always afraid of the clippers, or is this a new thing?

Gingerrrrr 02-23-2008 07:51 PM

this was my first time trying this with her because i just got her. she was a show horse so i thought she would be great with it. but shes a rescue so i guess it hadn't been done in awhile with her?

Supermane 02-23-2008 07:57 PM

Well, I know a ton of people are going to disagree with this, but possible trying earplugs or very light sedatives which you can wean her off slowly. My horse was totally fine with everything until you got to her ears, where she would rear up and the whites of her eyes would show. She was never trained as a foal so she was pretty terrified of the buzzing noise in her ears. We decided to put her on a light sedative and every time we clipped her she would get a little less. After only a few times she was totally fine being clipped. I would only recommend it for really bad cases, but I've found that it works and it much less stressful on the horse.

Please nobody yell at me...

Gingerrrrr 02-23-2008 08:01 PM

well its only for a quick job. i don't show or nothing i just want to clean her up a bit since shes kinda starting to look like a wild mustang. lol does anyone have tips on having her calm down more. i put the clips everywhere near her face. i even rubbed it on her face and shes okay with that but as soon as i try to clip her whiskers or her bridle path shes terrified of the noise it makes. and yes the whites of her eyes show :cry:

Supermane 02-23-2008 08:05 PM

Earplugs then, they won't completely block out the noise completely, but it will muffle it and it will relax her a little. Maybe even try distracting her with some treats. That's what I did when I was trying to get my horse use to the vacuum, I'm not sure if will work with clipping, but it could.

AKPaintLover 02-23-2008 10:19 PM

I would say, just calmly try every day. Probably start trying with the muzzle, as the ears are closer to the bridle path (and they usually really like the feel on their muzzles once they let it happen). It sort of sounds like she had something bad happen with the clippers that traumatized her - hard to say though. I would make sure she is not tied, and just hold her lead, and then slowly try. She will pull away, but just bring her back to where you had her, and slowly try again. Just spend 5 minutes or so on it each day, and end with you rubbing the buzzing clippers (but not shaving) on her somewhere. Eventually, you will have success. Earplugs might not be a bad idea.

Normally, I take a bit more assertive approach when teaching horses about clippers, but seeing that she is a rescue, not a babe, and you don't know her history, it seems like slowly earning her trust with it might be best.

HoneyBun 02-24-2008 12:20 AM

what i like to do is,
(sorry if sombody said this already, didnt read all of them :D)
turn on the clippers and start rubbing my horse with my HAND
so it will calm her down a little bit
i do this a couple of times and so i start getting closer with the clippers but yet not touching her
so i keep talking to her to calm her down a pat on the neck
and well this wat happend to MY horse, i just did this a couple of times and she alowed me to let me clip her
but heres the thing, my horse isnt THAT affraid of the clippers

Cheval 02-24-2008 12:39 AM

My horse is terrified of the clippers.
What I did was just take her over to the clippers, get some grain, and just keep them buzzing on the ground. Over time, take the clippers up to his/her face and then just rub around, and talk calmly, while they're eating grain. Then see if they'll accept the clippers.
One thing is that it might tickle a bit.

Harlee rides horses 02-24-2008 03:49 PM

Twitch.