The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   improving the strength of my jumping position.. (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/improving-strength-my-jumping-position-63168/)

Katie x 08-25-2010 07:45 AM

improving the strength of my jumping position..

I have a 4yo mare who we trained last year and she's flying...doing really well. we're jumping around 4 ft. i find sometimes,(not often) i can get left behind, if she takes off for the jump early..so i was wondering how i can improve my position,(strengten position more) and not get left behind..i think maybe i dont release enough with my hands..hm. any help is appreciated

maura 08-25-2010 08:13 AM

1.) I'm concerned that you're jumping a 4 year old over those kinds of heights. Not good for her long term training or her soundness. If she were my 4 year old, I'd be mostly working over low gymnastics, working on form, pace and striding, rather than going for height.

2.) It's not easy to make suggestions on improving your position without seeing a photo - could you post one?

Heatherloveslottie 08-25-2010 08:15 AM

If you want to improve your jump position then just practice it again and again. Keep it in walk, trot and canter. Practice circles in it and transitions, and over time it will be strengthened, especially your lower leg position.
I sometimes get left behind with Lottie so I get into jump position a few strides earlier so I'm prepared just in case.

Hope I helped :)

FoxyRoxy1507 08-25-2010 11:29 AM

UR JUMPING A 4YR OLD AT 4 FOOT! omg im sry but thats just asking for long term leg damage

MIEventer 08-25-2010 09:13 PM

I'm wondering why you are jumping 4'0" while asking us how to improve your position to not get left behind.

Someone who has competantly worked their way to 4'0" should know the mechanics as to why a rider gets left behind, and how to fix it.

I'm not going to comment on the 4 year old jumping 4'0".

Heatherloveslottie 08-26-2010 05:35 PM

Ah. Read too quickly and missed that bit. Even my 7 year old only does small cavalettis. I have to agree, if you're jumping four feet you shouldn't really be looking on a forum for how to jump :/
Posted via Mobile Device