The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Half chaps? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/half-chaps-63177/)

kitten_Val 08-25-2010 11:54 AM

Half chaps?

I was thinking about getting tall boots at first, but frankly I'm not big fan of those, so instead thinking about getting pair of half-chaps. Any recommendations? Experience? Or it's better to get the tall boots? I ride in paddock saxon at the moment (pretty short).

I'm thinking about those WITHOUT zippers, as I have a bad luck tearing any zipper on 2nd use. :cry:

Scoutrider 08-25-2010 12:14 PM

I always ride in half-chaps when I'm in an English saddle. I get a little more of the feel of tall boots without trashing my only (show) pair, plus my legs don't get pinched by the stirrup leathers.

I've got a pair of TuffRiders in suede, and they're all velcro closures. One long strip lengthwise, and an elastic band and velcro closure around the top, with an elastic insert around the calf for some "give". They've held up really well for going on 3 years now.

I just looked for a link to mine... but I think that the model has since changed and they now have a zipper. :-(

Eolith 08-25-2010 12:36 PM

I love love love my half chaps, definitely prefer them over tall boots. Mine are zippered, but I've had them (and used them hard) for 2-3 years with nary a problem. Ariat makes good stuff, definitely worth it... though they do tend to be on the pricier side of things.

VelvetsAB 08-25-2010 12:52 PM

I love my half chaps for every day riding so that I can save my tall boots for showing. Mine are Ariat....they happen to have a heavy duty zipper on them. You can get them in Half leather-half suede or I think full leather. The fulls were more expensive.

This is similar to the pair I got. If you are still growing though, you might want to go with a cheaper pair. If not, you might as well invest in a great pair so that they last.

Ariat All Around Chap III-On Sale until Aug 31 2010 [DRC4101]

Supermane 08-25-2010 12:54 PM

I always use half chaps when I school. I second the comment on ariat ones. I have a pair that I use almost everyday that I've had for over two years without any problems. However, if you have thicker boots you need to make sure they fit over. I had to get a pair of really cheap ones to fit over my winter boots because the elastic ones stretchy enough to fit over.

even pricier, but have been useful in a pinch were these:
http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...7&cm_vc=Search
My friend had these and ended up wearing them in a A show when she couldn't get her tall boots on.

kitten_Val 08-25-2010 01:01 PM

Thank you, All! So as far as I understand the half chaps are also allowed at the shows? Or just for schooling?

Also how you choose the SIZE? Should it be very tight, on loose side?

VelvetsAB 08-25-2010 01:04 PM

I've used my half chaps in schooling shows. You want them snug, or they will fall down.

Supermane-Ariat now has winter paddock boots with a slimmer top so that the ariat half chaps will fit over them. :) Theres even enough room for a thick pair of socks in them.

Supermane 08-25-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 729838)
Thank you, All! So as far as I understand the half chaps are also allowed at the shows? Or just for schooling?

Also how you choose the SIZE? Should it be very tight, on loose side?

You shouldn't use them for showing (though some schooling shows do allow it). Sizing will depend on the brand, but you should be able to find out how on the internet. Here is ariat's: Crazy Horse Tack | English Tall Boots, English Saddles, Ariat Paddock Boots, Riding Apparel. They should be tight against your calf. The velcro ones are nice because you can adjust the width all down your calf, but the zip ones do tend to last longer.

Alwaysbehind 08-25-2010 01:10 PM

I would guess they are allowed in lower level schooling shows.

If you are going to show I would recommend getting tall boots.

If you just want something to ride in then half chaps are great.

I have a pair of These. They are wearing well. Can not beat the price either.

No, they are not fancy and you for sure could not show in them. But very functional. Sorry, they do have a zipper.

Eolith 08-25-2010 01:17 PM

The half chaps should fit you pretty snug (even a little tightish) when you first get them, but providing that they are leather/suede, they will break in to the shape of your leg and once they do, they're super comfy cozy to wear.