The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Can anyone identify what type of bits theses are? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/can-anyone-identify-what-type-bits-63198/)

BellaBay 08-25-2010 04:42 PM

Can anyone identify what type of bits theses are?

2 Attachment(s)
These bits were on a bridle I came across and used with a curb strap. The large O ring is not removable. They seem to be very sturdy and well made. Both are similar, but one has thick rubber covering the mouthpiece. Can anyone tell me what type of bits these are, and what kind of horse or riding these would be used for? Thanks!

smrobs 08-25-2010 04:44 PM

I believe those are bits that are generally used on racehorses. I have no idea to their purpose but I have never seen a riding horse wear one like that.

maura 08-25-2010 04:53 PM

Both bits are ring bits, commonly used on racehorses. The function is to keep the horse from clamping their jaw down tightly on or grabbing hold of the bit. The top portion of the ring actually goes in the horses mouth along with the bit, and pputs pressure on the roof of the horse's mouth if he tries to clamp or grab.

More commonly seen used in exercise in the morning, only occassionally seen out on the track in the afternoon.

luvs2ride1979 08-25-2010 09:09 PM

They're called Dexter Ring Bits.
Big Dee's Tack & Vet Supplies | RACE BITS | DEXTER RING BIT 5in.

And yes, used for Thoroughbred racing.

Racehorses: Bits Commonly Used in Thoroughbred Horse Racing, Sales & Breeding Rock and Racehorses: The Blog
Quote:

3. Dexter Ring Bit. You can see the mouthpiece here. The ring bit has two mouthpieces: one jointed snaffle mouthpiece and one ring that encircles the horse’s lower jaw. The snaffle portion of the bit can have metal, plastic or rubber coating and the ring is metal. The cheekpieces are of varying shapes, as are the metal “spoons” below the mouth. A ring bit is commonly used on strong horses since it adds stopping power. The bit also increases steering power since a rider has the added leverage on the horse’s lower jaw.

BellaBay 08-26-2010 11:20 AM

Thanks!

Thanks to all who answered my question. I had never seen these before and I learned something new.