The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Horse Health (/horse-health/)
- - Lock Leg? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/lock-leg-63321/)
So, about a month ago I started working with my 11hh colt. He'll be 2 in December. He had a bit of a stiff back leg when he walked, but fine when he trotted and that, so I put it down to the cold mornings, as I was only able to get out there in the mornings. And I only handled him about once to twice a week. But today when we got his hooves done, (which he was amazing and stood the whole time) it got hot, 'cose it was close to the middle of the day, and he still had the clicky joint. The farrier said it might be Lock Leg. Or is it Leg Lock? Not sure now..
It seems to have a sound coming from his hip, but his hock? is locking up. Maybe? I'm not too sure. Sometimes it gets as bad as he doesn't click it out, and he moves it in an outwards arc as he walks forwards, or walk slow.
Has anyone had a horse with this? Know how to fix it? We're taking him to see the vet, but they say it'll be 4 weeks untill he's free. He's a good one.
I've done some research, and it looks like you can exercise it off?
He's lived on hilly country all his life, going up and down hills, or in a flat area.
The farrier said he knew someone who had a horse with it, and that he should be fine to ride, as they did. But I'm just checking. Once he was trotting and really getting into walking around, it didn't seem to happen as much. Just mainly if you stop, then start forwards.
Not sure how much needless info I put there. I suck at explaining.
But thanks if you read my endless talkin. xD
sounds like stifle lock to me, very common in young horses who are having a growth spurt. a lot of horses grow out of it, but some dont and require surgery.
At 11 months - I would sure have the vet out.
Could be a minor issue that will go away and could be something that has to be worked out now or the little guy won't stay sound.
Locking stifle, stringhalt, etc
Sounds like a stifle problem to me or stringhalt. I'd call the vet out and have him take a look at it.
Okay thanks. Yep, 4 week waiting on the good vet, unless he gets a spot free. But I'll let you know what happens, if I remember.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:56 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.