The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Lucy's Leg (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/lucys-leg-63340/)

stacieandtheboys 08-27-2010 01:33 PM

Lucy's Leg

3 Attachment(s)
So a few days ago Lucy cut up her leg on I guess the fence (which is not barbed wire btw). It wasn't deep, a little swollen, and she was limping a little. So I washed it and doctored it. Tuesday I noticed the swelling was going down and that it seemd better, washing it and doctoring every day. So yesterday morning when I came home from work she was just standing out front. She wasn't eating which is totally unlike her and then she tried to take a step. She wouldn't hardly put any weight on it. I brought her up from the front which took 10 minutes (only about an acre of land) and put her in the sall called the vet. he came out and said her hock was infected and to bring her in AND that it was going to be $800-900 :shock: So I take her in this morning and he tested the joint fluid and there is no infection in the joint but it is just really inflamed. Whew. So he dressed it and wrapped it and put her on bute and antibiotics. She is back home and happily munching on hay. I put a fan up for her since our barn gets pretty hot. Here are some pics before after and the fan :) The before pic looks really bad but it was pretty dirty because of the stall and stuff I put on it last night

Solon 08-27-2010 01:36 PM

Dang - that's ugly. Do you know what part of the fence cut her up like that? Might be good to change whatever it is that did that so it doesn't happen again. Hope she recovers quickly.

stacieandtheboys 08-27-2010 01:43 PM

Nope I have no idea. We are slowly replacing the fence because it needs it but haven't been able to afford it. Of course with this vet bill I could have had half of it done. I think she kicked through it at a new mare on the other side. Guess it is time to scrounge some cash together and get it replaced.

riccil0ve 08-27-2010 05:12 PM

I'm glad the joint fluid isn't infected. Sending healing vibes for Lucy and growing vibes for your own personal money tree. =]
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 08-27-2010 06:22 PM

Wow, ugliness. So glad it didn't make it into the joint though, that should be a big relief. Silly girl, hope she heals up well.

mom2pride 08-27-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 732096)
I'm glad the joint fluid isn't infected. Sending healing vibes for Lucy and growing vibes for your own personal money tree. =]
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey I could use a better producing money tree too...hahaha!

OP, I am glad it isn't infected, and will be sending healing vibes your way. It looks nasty, but hopefully, will heal quickly :D

stacieandtheboys 08-27-2010 06:36 PM

Thanks guys :) She is doing MUCH better this afternoon. She is eating and drinking and putting weight on that leg again. I put her antibiotic in some feed and she actually almost turned her nose up at it and then the piggy in her kicked in and she inhaled it. I cleaned out her stall and put new bedding down. Fly sprayed her really good and put another bucket of water in. It will probably get all over everywhere as she thinks the water buckets are fun to swing arond and rub her bum on. Even in one of those bucket holders that aren't supposed to move she can manage to move it. Oh and she LOVES that fan. LOL Spoiled little girl she is.

I just hope when I am able to ride again she hasn't forgotten all she learned with you smrobs :/

smrobs 08-27-2010 06:38 PM

I bet she won't, though she might be a bit obnoxious after her vacation :D

RogueMare 08-27-2010 06:59 PM

Healing vibes your way for a speedy recovery! Those things can be Scary!

Can someone send me some money tree vibes? ;)

stacieandtheboys 08-31-2010 01:04 AM

Went back for a recheck at the vet and her leg looks sooooooo much better! He cleaned it again and then rewrapped it and said as long as she is moving around and itsn't limpig she should be good in a couple of weeks. She has to stay in for another week and then we can take the wrap off and she can go back outside (which is good cause I am tired of cleaning stalls!)