The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Showing a gaited horse at a local open show... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/showing-gaited-horse-local-open-show-63357/)

CloudsMystique 08-27-2010 05:19 PM

Showing a gaited horse at a local open show...

I'm going to show in both halter and showmanship.

My question is... how much 'gaited' should I put into my presentation? Should I show her exactly how she'd be shown at a breed show, or should I 'quarter horse' her up a little to please the judges?

She has a long mane and I'm not pulling it - should I leave it down or do a running braid? It would be left down at a breed show.

Should I put the MFT ribbons in her mane and forelock or leave them out?
http://www.mountainmagicranch.com/magic1.jpg

Should I stand her square like a QH or slightly parked out like a MFT?
http://ultimatehorsesite.com/images_.../palomino5.jpg

Thanks for reading : )

CloudsMystique 08-27-2010 05:25 PM

Also, should I braid her forelock or leave it down? You can do either one at breed shows...

ErikaLynn 08-27-2010 05:25 PM

I would do slightly gaited, I would definitly park her. and keep the ribbons in her mane Do not QH that beautiful horse.

CloudsMystique 08-27-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErikaLynn (Post 732055)
I would do slightly gaited, I would definitly park her. and keep the ribbons in her mane Do not QH that beautiful horse.

Thanks! : )

corinowalk 08-27-2010 05:34 PM

I would rock her out gaited style. Braids and all. Heres my silly reasoning.

In showmanship/halter they are going to be looking at her conformation. To me, perfect confo on a QH and perfect confo on a MFT are different. If the judge doesnt know, why not give them a hint? A big one. LOL Its not like she carries around a sign that says "Not a QH...gaited!"

CloudsMystique 08-27-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinowalk (Post 732067)
I would rock her out gaited style. Braids and all. Heres my silly reasoning.

In showmanship/halter they are going to be looking at her conformation. To me, perfect confo on a QH and perfect confo on a MFT are different. If the judge doesnt know, why not give them a hint? A big one. LOL Its not like she carries around a sign that says "Not a QH...gaited!"

Haha, that's very true. Although she will be carrying a sign of sorts when they ask me to trot her ; )

corinowalk 08-27-2010 06:07 PM

LOL if they are predominantly QH judges they would probably DQ you for having a 'lame' horse! j/k In my experience showing gaited horses against trotting horses (not the fox trot ofcourse!) Normal show people are a bit oblivious that there are other breeds of horses out there. Sometimes its nice to show them! And you've got a great horse to do it with!

CloudsMystique 08-27-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinowalk (Post 732092)
LOL if they are predominantly QH judges they would probably DQ you for having a 'lame' horse! j/k In my experience showing gaited horses against trotting horses (not the fox trot ofcourse!) Normal show people are a bit oblivious that there are other breeds of horses out there. Sometimes its nice to show them! And you've got a great horse to do it with!

I'm actually kind of afraid of being DQd for having a lame horse, haha. Especially because her gait is diagonal and kind of looks like a normal trot... except that you can tell something is a little 'off,' and of course her head is bobbing.

Thanks for the help! I think I will go all out : )

vivache 08-27-2010 06:21 PM

Put that she is gaited on your entry form. Do they have a gaited division?

CloudsMystique 08-27-2010 06:48 PM

No, they don't... It's just a small, local PtHA/APHA show. I'm not sure what the entry forms will look like, but I'll write it down if there's a place for it. Thanks!