The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Is It too Late? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/too-late-63418/)

AngelWithoutWings54 08-28-2010 02:11 PM

Is It too Late?

1 Attachment(s)
So, yesterday I was feeding Jerry a treat, and then I held my hand kind of by his chest. He arched his neck in the prettiest way, and his forelock was hanging down like a beautiful, majestic fairytale horse. So that got me thinking: Maybe, just maybe, I could teach him how to work in at least a bit more of a frame. Right now, he sticks his nose up with his neck stiff. I hope to buy some lunging stuff and side reins to help get him more in a frame on the lunge first.

After we have accomplished that, I plan on getting one of my instructors to help me with riding him in more of a frame.

Anyways, my question is: he's 14 years old. Is it too late to start trying this with him?

I posted a picture wit this to show how he usually carries his head (please excuse my position... lol). Please give your feedback!

eventerdrew 08-28-2010 02:25 PM

I don't think it's ever too late to teach a horse to be in a frame. Go for it!

AngelWithoutWings54 08-28-2010 02:29 PM

Okay, thanks! As soon as I get all the lunging stuff I'll start... His neck looks so beautiful when he has it all arched! SO excited!

Arksly 08-28-2010 02:37 PM

It isn't too late. But, be careful when teaching it to him, it can be very difficult for him to hold his frame properly. So, just start out with very little. Also, when you are riding him do a lot of double up circles at the walk. What you will hopefully get from that is him dropping his neck slightly, him bending, and him being soft in your hands. Also, before you get him into a decent frame just work on flexion and going forward. I'm fairly certain he will not be pleased with having to work in frame because he has to do more work lol.

smrobs 08-28-2010 04:24 PM

Yep, agreed, it is never too late. Just be really patient with him because he has been travelling out of frame for so many years, it will be hard for him to build up the correct muscle and break that mental pattern of head up/nose out.

ladybugsgirl 08-28-2010 04:46 PM

wow your a string bean....I love the blue on your horse

AngelWithoutWings54 08-28-2010 04:49 PM

^^ Haha, thanks. My dad wants me to dye the ends of his mane and tail blue... I'm not sure how that would turn out... lol.

Deerly 08-29-2010 12:32 PM

Not too old at all! Just make sure that you do it properly and don't focus on his head and neck. Proper carriage comes from behind and the head follows suit.

BTW I totally agree with you. There is nothing more beautiful than that arched neck. My old horse was a NSH and had the most amazingly gorgeous naturally arched neck all the time. It just about killed me with beauty!

mom2pride 08-29-2010 01:46 PM

Definitely never too late to try and help your horse learn how to properly carry himself :D My girl is 10, and is going through the same stuff...

aliloveshorses09 08-29-2010 01:49 PM

do it its not to late if the hose was like 25 it may have been!!!