The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What do you think about Clinton Andersons Training Methods (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-do-you-think-about-clinton-6347/)

hackin'around 02-24-2008 07:04 PM

What do you think about Clinton Andersons Training Methods

Hello Everyone! I am a newbie to the forum, and just wanted to get an idea of what people think about Clinton Andersons training methods? I see alot of members writing about Parelli, but not much a C.A. I have to say that I have bought the riding with confidence series, but have yet to try them out on my horse. My main goal is to develope a good foundation between me and my horse, and I have heard that natural horsemanship is the way to go. So has anyone else tried any of his stuff? and did you have good results? Thanks all. I look forward to your advice!!! :P

Spirithorse 02-24-2008 08:16 PM

I do not like Clinton's techiniques AT ALL. IMO he's too aggressive and his program is a one size fits all kind of deal. He seems to treat every horse, in every situation, the same with no concern for the horse's true personality and innate characteristics. He's very goal oriented and puts his goal before the horse's feelings in a lot of situations.

Just my opinion :wink:

Abby 02-24-2008 09:20 PM

As with what spirit horse said, Clinton Anderson's methods were too direct/harsh for my horse. I switched to Parelli which is more low key and he does well and he is learning INCREDIBLY fast. It took us less than THREE DAYS to graduate from level one. Some of his idea's work better than Parelli's but I like Parelli's overall program better. However, I am not the type of person who follows one trainer only, I mix and match to my horses liking or need.

ahearn 02-24-2008 11:01 PM

We use a combination of Clinton Anderson and Lyons. I really like them! I have 3 horses, two of which are rescue horses with LOW self esteem, and 2 of which are gaited horses. His techniques have worked with everything!! The only thing I'm still having troubles with (and Spirithorse is helping me with, THANK GOD!) is going from a tie down situation on a horse who had been tied down for 16 years!! Now, Clinton Anderson does not address this area so I had to reach for the good ole' Horse forum and thank goodness we have a great network of people to help out!

I have successfully retrained all three horses by Clinton Anderson's series. I love it! All three horses are sssssssssoooooooo different and came from such different backgrounds. His methods worked for us. I tried Parellli and didn't like it at all. Sorry for you folks that do like him! Don't get me wrong I think he is an AMAZING horse trainer, I just had a hard time following his methods.

It truly is about what you are comfortable with. Try it out and if you don't see a change in your horse (albeit surprised if you don't) then try someone else! Also, don't be afraid to mix methods and trainers and add in some of your own! You'll figure it out as long as you listen to your horse!! They truly can tell you so much!

BluMagic 02-24-2008 11:05 PM

I like John Lyons training a lot...or from what I know of it.

I agree that Clinton Anderson doesn't take personality type in mind. However, some of his training is pretty good.

There are also things I like and dislike about Parelli as well. His training techniques are great but some of his products puzzle me.

Abby 02-24-2008 11:38 PM

Parelli's products are incredibly expensive and some of them are silly. I honestly don't think a carrot stick and progress string is necessary but it has worked well with desensitizing my horse to having things throw in his direction and touching him as I toss the string over his body. It also helped cure his ear/head shyness as well as helping him be okay with ropes twirling around his legs so that way if his foot gets caught he won't panic.

I like John Lyons too as well as Monty Roberts. I do what works for me.

I make my own parelli gear, I order quarter inch yacht rope online and tie my own halters and make my own yacht rope leads since I recently learned how to properly make an eyesplice and backsplice a popper in place. I bought a fiberglass rod from a Parelli off brand company and attached my own savvy string for twenty bucks total versus the prices he charges and the products work the same.

hackin'around 02-25-2008 12:00 AM

Thank you all, I really appreciate your views. I have seen John Lyons at work in the round pen, and it is amazing how fast he gets these horses to repond. I almost didn't believe it when i first saw it. :o

I know what you mean Abby. Their products are very expensive! I bought some yacht rope myself to make some mecate reins, I just have to get the slobber straps now. In the end, it will cost less than a 1/4 of what the top trainers sell them for.

Anyhow, thanks again! I like this forum already!!!

Abby 02-25-2008 12:09 AM

Thats wonderful, I'm glad we are making a good first impression. Now honestly, my moms horse digs on Clinton Anderson. Honestly I think since C.A. trains more "One size fits all" that it works for specific horses incredibly while others its not so much but it does work, and some horses its just doesn't work, the same with ANY training program. :} I do use some of his ideas, a lot of them I like I just modify them for my horse a little

LadyDreamer 02-25-2008 12:42 AM

Clinton Anderson is a VERY good people-trainer. He has a great deal of clarity which allows for better learning on the human's part. Yes it is on the horse's expense sometimes. I really like his clarity.

That is what I HATE about Parelli. To me he is not very clear in his teaching(or at least the few teachings I saw which turned me off).

There is no one method to follow. I watch, listen, and follow many different trainers methods. I take what fits me, and use it. The more people you learn from, the better off you will be.

kitten_Val 02-25-2008 07:40 AM

I like some of CA methods but not all (I think his idea on how to give shots, for example, is very wrong and I can bet on anything wouldn't work with one of my horses) . I too bought "Ground" series and it does give good ideas on HOW to train basic things like yielding hindquarters and so on, so I think it was a good deal. However I can't be even close as aggressive as he is at some time even with my bossy unrespectfull qh. And using stick (even showing it) on my paint makes her nothing but running very mad and NOT obeying.

I personally don't like Parelli, because found it to be very boring. I thought may be it's just videos, but I went to Parelli clinic at the PA Expo this passed weekend (although it was not Parelli, but one of Parelli-certified instructors), and it was even worse than videos. :(