The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Fixing a , Henri de Rivel Advantage Stirrup Latch (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/fixing-henri-de-rivel-advantage-stirrup-6348/)

CrufflerSteve 02-24-2008 06:24 PM

Fixing a , Henri de Rivel Advantage Stirrup Latch

My wife & I just got back into riding in the fall. We got what we thought was a good deal on an HDR Advantage saddle for her from a tack store going out of business. At least it seemed like a good deal at the time. This was for my wife since she rides English. It seemed a bit hard in places but a pad helped.

The problem is that one of the stirrup latches doesn't lock. The lock goes to a 180 degree to open and closes when pushed up to a right angle. One of the latches doesn't quite go all the way and stays loose. The stirrup has fallen off a few times which is not good. The latch is riveted in so fixing isn't easy. I wonder if its worth fixing since these get mixed reviews. It is also my wife's only saddle so I'm not sure what to do.

Steve

ZiSquared 02-24-2008 06:36 PM

I was always taught that you leave the latch open, so the stirrup does pop off if you get your foot caught in a fall. Granted, it shouldn't just randomly fall off the saddle. That almost sounds like it has something to do with your wife's leg position. I kicked a stirrup off once coming down awkwardly from a jump. However, I can't be assured that this is the case.
You should take it to a saddler and have him check it out. Or even a local tack store.
Good luck!

Equina 02-24-2008 09:55 PM

Yeah, the stirrup shouldn't be falling off when the latch is open (or at 180 degrees). I always ride with mine open because, like Zi said, I've heard it's a safety feature.

Is she using synthetic leathers or "webbers?" I once rode in a saddle with these and they would gradually slide off the stirrup bar throughout my ride. And they were stiff and ugly. :wink:

That's the only thing I can think of that would cause it to slide off...

As for fixing...you may want to contact HDR...I would think that their saddles should have at least a 1 year warranty on parts like this. They may even have like a 10-30 year warranty on the tree...and the stirrup bars are kind of part of the tree...well, they're attached to it anyways. :)