The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Thoughts on Thorowgood (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/thoughts-thorowgood-63514/)

MudPaint 08-29-2010 09:52 PM

Thoughts on Thorowgood

I'm looking for a dressage saddle on a budget. I've seen the Thorowgoods mentioned several times as a great saddle for a developing horse. Granted I would love a Passier or similar branding, but my budget is about 500. So i'd get a very used one or a newer cheaper saddle. I'm not a fan of wintec/bates anymore... in recent years I feel their craftsmanship has jumped off a cliff.

So what are your thoughts on the Thorowgoods? Do you like the fish(sp?) system?

MyBoyPuck 08-29-2010 09:58 PM

I just have the AP model, but I love Thorowgoods. I've had 2 of them, beat the crap out of both of them and they can take it. Besides the fist system which is somewhat useful, (depends on where your horse is hollow, the fish can only go into one slot on each side), the newer ones have adjustable gullets. I think they're a very good bang for the buck.

kitten_Val 08-30-2010 06:47 AM

In my experience Thorowgoods are the best for the wide horse (I remember it being the last hope (which worked) for my friend with the big round draftX). I tried one, but it didn't fit my butt really (I think something to do with that twist). Can you try one before you buy? I'd really recommend that.

MudPaint 08-30-2010 05:50 PM

Yes... I'm making a trip to Rick's to try a few used ones plus to get myself properly measured.

aspin231 08-31-2010 03:37 AM

Thorowgood saddles are very nice quality and very comfortable too. The are supposed to come in all different sizes, not just for wide horses. The fish system is a good idea too.
However, if your budget is $500, unless you find one used, I tink that they're out of your range. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Thorowgood dressage saddles here cost bout $900CAD.
That being said, if I had the cash, I would be running out to buy one right now.

kitten_Val 08-31-2010 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudPaint (Post 734438)
Yes... I'm making a trip to Rick's to try a few used ones plus to get myself properly measured.

Have fun! Rick's is awesome place to shop for sure.

MudPaint 08-31-2010 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspin231 (Post 734825)
Thorowgood saddles are very nice quality and very comfortable too. The are supposed to come in all different sizes, not just for wide horses. The fish system is a good idea too.
However, if your budget is $500, unless you find one used, I tink that they're out of your range. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Thorowgood dressage saddles here cost bout $900CAD.
That being said, if I had the cash, I would be running out to buy one right now.

In Dover they have them @ about 600 (which I could manage next month)... but I've found some other different models are more expensive, but still used are within my price range.

kitten_Val 08-31-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudPaint (Post 734870)
In Dover they have them @ about 600 (which I could manage next month)... but I've found some other different models are more expensive, but still used are within my price range.

In fact they have Thorowgoods in my local Dover on sale from time to time. I remember seeing one for around $400.

mls 08-31-2010 09:53 AM

I have two - a dressage and a hunt seat. LOVE them!

reachthestars 08-31-2010 02:09 PM

I have the Thorowgood T6 dressage which I LOVE. I'm sure people here are getting sick of me talking about it, but it really is the most comfortable saddle I've sat it (but only because I refuse to sit in a Bates Isabel, because I know I'lll love it and want it). They're a hard saddle to find used though, so your best bet would be to wait for a sale.