The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   barrel racing boots (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/barrel-racing-boots-63591/)

angelsgrace 08-30-2010 08:37 PM

barrel racing boots

OK big problem i do a lot of barrel racing but have not yet competed at a full event and i only have bell boots i know i should have sling boots but there is a rodeo coming up and i want to enter do i need them or can i go without them?

Spastic_Dove 08-30-2010 08:40 PM

You don't HAVE to have boots. His legs won't fall off if you run a race without them.

Long term, I like my SMBs for support. Never needed bell boots really as my guy doesnt over reach but the SMBs offer just enough support and keep the legs safe from any accidental injury.

Not sure what 'sling boots' are...are they similar to splint boots?

kaydeebug 08-30-2010 09:22 PM

i barrel race as well and pole bend, i use bell boots and splint boots. you dont need them, but it gives you protection from pulling any muscle or from rocks and keeps support to the leg especially when your turning at high speeds;

angelsgrace 08-30-2010 09:52 PM

Sling are the same as splint yes.
I need bell boots
And i will get some but i don't have the money at the moment

kaydeebug 08-30-2010 09:55 PM

there not to expensive i just bought the new turquiose snake skin imitation from callisters for only 21.98

mom2pride 08-30-2010 09:56 PM

I am with spastic...love smb's...I've got to get a bigger pair of bells that will work with them though, as well as a rear set. But, I love the smb boots :D

kchfuller 08-30-2010 11:15 PM

if you don't think you have money for boots ... just think how much a vet bill will be for not having the protection and having your horse hurt itself.

buying a pair of splint boots is the CHEAPEST insurance you can have... i wouldn't run another barrel etc without all of the right equipment. :D

look on ebay or find a used tack store to get yourself started... then save for a new set :D

Amir 08-30-2010 11:57 PM

IMO sling boots are better than splint boots. Splint boots only protect the canon bone whereas sling boots wrap under the fetlock to fully support the joint.
I don't think you can get a better pair of boots than the slings. I just like the fact that they really support the whole lot, not just part.
It won't kill your horse to not have boots of any kind for this one race. I do however suggest in at least trying to borrow some splint or sling boots for it and then invest in a pair for yourself.
I got these ones for my horse Yimar Neoprene Sling Horse Boots MEDIUM P/W HSP2 - eBay Boots, Clothing, Horse Riding, Sport. (end time 31-Aug-10 19:00:58 AEST)
They were only $33 including postage and the inside is double reinforced. I love them. I only got them a week ago and could only use them once before my horse went lame, but in the 2 rides that I had with him before that, compared to riding him in my splint boots (which also streched btw) he felt a lot better getting that extra bit of support.
They were also really good on postage. Ordered them on a Thursday, got them in the mail on the Monday after.
Not to mention they look awesome. They also have blue velcro ones :D

AztecBaby 08-31-2010 01:47 AM

I run my mare in Professionals Choice SMBs I highly recomend getting a pair when you get the chance.

barrelracer7335 08-31-2010 07:58 AM

I also run with SMB Elites, I have a pair for every one of my horses. They are more expensive but if you buy a 4 pack it's cheaper then buying front then back.

P.S. SMBs have a larger variety of colors (:
Posted via Mobile Device