The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Good exercise for teaching flexing while in motion... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/good-exercise-teaching-flexing-while-motion-63646/)

PaintedFury 08-31-2010 06:15 PM

Good exercise for teaching flexing while in motion...

I've told a couple of people on here that I would find this exercise and post it on here. Sorry I can't find the diagram I drew at one time, but I did find the instructions that went with it.

1. Place 4 cones, or barrels, or pole bending pole in a rectangle, for reference points only. This is optional. I have used soda cans in the past to help me keep track of where I am.
2. Start in the center of the rectangle. Start at a walk and work up to a lope on the small tight circles. Lope the large circles around the pattern.
3. Do 4 tight clockwise (right-handed) circles.
4. Change leads, and do 4 counterclockwise (left-handed) circles.
5. Serpentine between points A and B to the left of point C into 4 clockwise(right-handed) circles.
6. Do a lead change then do 4 counterclockwise (left-handed) circles.
a. Note: When doing the small, tight circles, do not allow the horse to drop his shoulder or ribcage, keep them up.
7. Stop.
8. Quickly back up 5-6 steps.
9. Do a clockwise (right-handed) rollback 180 degrees.
10. Lope off into 3 clockwise (right-handed) circles.
a. Note: the rollback should have your horse in the correct lead.
11. Stop.
12. Quickly back up 5-6 steps.
13. Do a counterclockwise (left-handed) rollback 180 degrees.
14. Lope off into 3 counterclockwise (left-handed) circles.
15. Stop.
16. Quickly back up 5-6 steps.
17. Stop.
18. Relax.

As with any exercise this you should start this at a walk and work up to the lope. If you're doing this exercise in soft dirt, the cones or whatever are not necessary, because you can see where you have been. The pattern will look like a four leaf clover drawn with circles with a circle around the entire pattern. I use this exercise to teach my barrel horses to bend and flex while in motion. I've always had great success with it in the past.

mom2pride 08-31-2010 08:31 PM

I think I can visualize what you are talking about; Stacey Westfall did that exact thing at a horse expo I went to a year ago. :D I have to get some cones, as I don't have any since moving from AZ to CO...Lol!

PaintedFury 08-31-2010 08:38 PM

I've used that exercise since the early '90s. I had no idea that Stacey Westfall used it as well. I guess I'm in good company then, huh?

PaintedFury 09-04-2010 01:38 PM

Bump bump bump

mliponoga 09-04-2010 01:42 PM

Great exercise! You should video tape it and post it here!!

PaintedFury 09-04-2010 02:06 PM

At one time I had a diagram of it drawn and scanned, but I can't seem to find it now. I guess I'll have to re-draw it and scan it again. I know that some would get more out of the visual diagram than the instructions.