The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Do most horses have a stiff/stiffer side? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/do-most-horses-have-stiff-stiffer-63676/)

dreamrideredc 08-31-2010 10:29 PM

Do most horses have a stiff/stiffer side?

Hi guys!

Not too long ago, my horse developed a sore left hip, causing him to be incredibly stiff. One of my trainers is trained in acuscope, and offered to start treating my horse. It has worked MIRACLES! So far things have gone fantastic! He hasn't shown any signs of stiffness since (*knock on wood*)! Although, I have noticed that going to the right he seems slightly more stiff at the beginning of our ride than to the left. After a few minutes of warm up and when I start pushing him forward he feels great again. I asked my trainer about this, and she said he still looks great and he might feel slightly stiff to he right because he has to strike off harder with the left hind.

Sooo, after that long backround, my question is: Do most horses go better/looser one way than the other side? I'm so thankful my horse is feeling great and being treated by this. I'm not sure if any of ya'll are familiar with it but it's homeopathic, has NO known risks/side effects, and is guaranteed to at least help some like 99.9% of the time, if it doesn't fix th problem permanently.

Before I launch into a lecture about my latest obsession with this, I guess just google it if you're curious, but there's a jillion things it helps with and is GREAT!

Thanks! :D

A knack for horses 08-31-2010 10:39 PM

Well, horses are bilateral creatures, so if they are hurting on one side, it may show more prominent on the other side. It is like when you sprain your ankle and you have to hop on your other foot for a while. After a short time, your uninjured foot starts to hurt because of the additional weight you a putting on it.

I think horses can have stiffer sides. The reason why however, probably varies. Maybe they are over worked on one side compared to the other. As you mentioned, it could have been an injury causing it. A loose horseshoe could be to blame as well. The weather could be a factor, or even if a horse has spent a large amount of time out of work (as little as a few weeks) may cause stiffness. There are countless other reasons that would take me a while to type out or even think of.

Hope this helps!

dreamrideredc 08-31-2010 10:50 PM

Thank you! So I guess in other words what I'm asking is if it's normal for him to be a little looser on one side than the other. Injuries and such put aside, would you consider it a regular trait seen in horsies? He doesn't act or appear that he's in pain, just feels a little looser to the left than to the right at the beginning of our ride! =) I always thought horses were always better one way than the other, kinda like we're left or right handed, kick with one foot and not the other, etc, etc.

Thanks again!

Gluey33 08-31-2010 10:58 PM

Yes most of them go better one way than the other.

A knack for horses 08-31-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamrideredc (Post 735484)
Thank you! So I guess in other words what I'm asking is if it's normal for him to be a little looser on one side than the other. Injuries and such put aside, would you consider it a regular trait seen in horsies? He doesn't act or appear that he's in pain, just feels a little looser to the left than to the right at the beginning of our ride! =) I always thought horses were always better one way than the other, kinda like we're left or right handed, kick with one foot and not the other, etc, etc.

Thanks again!

Absolutely! This is very common in horses. It seems to me the reason may be he needs to strech. He might just be a little stiff as you say and needs a little "warming up" to get him evened out. Some of this may be stemming from his right side isn't his preffered side (like the right handed/left handed thing).

SorrelHorse 09-01-2010 12:04 AM

Yup, totally normal. Almost all of my horses have been left sided, and stiff to the right. But that's also my fault, because I circle a lot better to the left than the right as far as my balance goes, and that makes me excersize tracking left a lot more and I don't even realize I've done the entire workout to the left. I've gotten better and so have my horses, and I've started flexing and stretching them out more before a ride. I found a very talented young equine naturalist who knows some great massage and flexing techniques. She showed me some basic stuff and I went from there on my own.
Posted via Mobile Device

dreamrideredc 09-01-2010 08:03 AM

*PHEW!* Thank goodness! I think it may be the left hind thats still stiff, so to the right at the trot he has to push off harder with that hind, maybe making him feel stiff? I don't know! I just know that he doesn't look off anymore, and he only feels different a tiny bit to the right usually at the beginning of our ride. Maybe it's just his stiffer side, I'm just glad it seems to no longer be causing him pain and he seems to be taking long even strides. I'll just keep an eye on him, he seems to be a very happy horsie ;) YAY FOR ACUSCOPE!

Thanks! =)