The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Urgent help needed please!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/urgent-help-needed-please-63743/)

Horseychick94 09-01-2010 08:56 PM

Urgent help needed please!!!

I have a problem with my horse. Our pasture is connected to the barn. At night, I call my horses in to eat their grain. My big standardbred always CHARGES in. When I go to let him in, he charges out. I am worried about my own, his, and other people's safety. While I was in Florida, my grandfather was left with the horses. One night comet came FLYING in, fell down, and slammed into the wall HARD. He tried to get up and fell again and slammed into the wall. What can I do to get him to come in safely?:?

ilyTango 09-01-2010 09:05 PM

Try leading him in maybe, so that you can control the pace he goes at.

Horseychick94 09-01-2010 09:34 PM

ok that makes sense!

cosmomomo 09-01-2010 10:18 PM

maybe even lead him in with a stud chain over his nose, some people consider them cruel, but used correctly they are fine. that way if he starts to pull he'll have something besides the soft halter kind of warning him. then if he gets worse you can just wiggle your lead a little and its more of a warning. i had to use one ONCE and all i did was wiggle it as little as possible. the less pressure the better. i cant stand to see those people who just yank on it forever >.<

Horseychick94 09-01-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmomomo (Post 736344)
maybe even lead him in with a stud chain over his nose, some people consider them cruel, but used correctly they are fine. that way if he starts to pull he'll have something besides the soft halter kind of warning him. then if he gets worse you can just wiggle your lead a little and its more of a warning. i had to use one ONCE and all i did was wiggle it as little as possible. the less pressure the better. i cant stand to see those people who just yank on it forever >.<

Would a rope halter also work? he has one of those. He cant wear a normal nylon halter

MudPaint 09-01-2010 10:51 PM

You def need to reestablish that you are ALLOWING him to come inside for dinner. I wouldn't let him come in off the lead any longer. When he's coming in don't allow him to be pushy.

Rope halters work well for most exercises, though if he is really getting into your space or being dangerous, you may have to switch over to a normal halter and a stud chain.

It's very important that horses understand that they must respect you... they're way to big to be acting dangerously.

cosmomomo 09-01-2010 11:00 PM

i suppose a rope halter would have a similar effect if it had those two knots along the nose, they push on pressure points on the face and should make him want to back off from it. i know it can be difficult to use something like that on an animal you consider your baby (at least for me anyway) but you want to keep both you and him as safe as possible.

Goose 09-01-2010 11:00 PM

I agree, I make my horses stand and wait to eat for a few seconds after I put their grain in their buckets, they didn't like it at first, but now they just wait calmly untill I tell them to go ahead, then they dig in.....respect is something you can't have enough of with an animal as large and powerful as our horses... I have also used a short lunge whip just to keep attention, when I have one that is getting to pushy and to make sure they respect my space...I don't hit them, before anyone says it's mean, just a bump on the chest or nose with the handle end does the trick.....

New_image 09-01-2010 11:04 PM

If it were me personally...

I would call him in if thats what you like to do. Let him come charging in like a maniac. Stand ready with a lounge whip and raise one arm high so you're taller than he is then use the other to WHACK him with the whip while yelling something along the lines of "BACK OFF" or "MIND YOUR MANNERS". Get in his space and give him a good smack, the head, chest, wherever. If you're the top herd member its your job to kick the snot out of him if hes charging like a jerk, so let him have it! He can and will learn to come in like a gentlemen.
When he hits the breaks and runs back out like he will when the whip contacts his head and you're screaming with a raised arm... Drop your arm and whip and call him back, if hes nice he can walk in, if hes a jerk he can have it again until he learns to come in with some manners!

The other suggestions are great for training humans to mind while waiting for dinner :) But how often do you see the leader of your herd leading a pushy horse by a rope halter and making it "wait" for dinner? No, respect is taught by loud sequels, biting, kicking and chasing. He'll know what you mean if you speak his language. Plus you don't have to deal with a 15 minute leading lesson every night :)

I personally, would prefer to have words with him in horse terms ("Go ahead, run at the boss mare, It'll cost ya......") but leading him in is another option.

cosmomomo 09-01-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Goose; I agree, I make my horses stand and wait for a few seconds after I put their grain in the bucket
I do the exact same thing lol. at the barn we used to board at they would just let them go in the stall and had the grain already in the bucket, luckily it only took me a few times of feeding him myself at the new barn and he knows to wait.