The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Jump training advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/jump-training-advice-63750/)

cosmomomo 09-01-2010 10:29 PM

Jump training advice?

Okayy soo, i have a 6 year old TB, who ive completely trained myself, and for the last 2 months or so he has been consistently jumping 18" crossrails and now and then some verticals at about the same height. He is starting to get really lazy over them at the trot and canter, even the 2' vertical i was jumping today he seemed to not pick his feet up very well. i love him to death, and i am so proud of him, but i was just wondering if you guys thought that maybe i should start moving him up in height? i dont want him backing off of them, and i know if he starts to do that, then i should back up a notch. ive never trained a horse to jump before, ive been jumping for a long time, just wanted to hear someone else's opinion on this?

MyBoyPuck 09-01-2010 11:33 PM

If you're sure he's just bored and that raising them won't undermine his confidence, sure, give it a try. There's only one way to find out if that's the answer. If you do raise them and he answers by running out or refusing, I would say keep the jumps around 2' but incorporate gymnastic grids into your jumping to help him keep connected and learn to use himself over the fences. There's a zillion different jump configurations out there that help you can try to keep your horse interested. Something as simple as a ground pole 9' to 10' in front and behind a vertical will help him stay collected over the vertical instead of getting all strung out. Most horses find gymnastics very fun.

cosmomomo 09-01-2010 11:44 PM

thanks! :) ill try some grids with him. i had him over some bounces a couple weeks ago, i guess im just too lazy to set them back up :P hes very willing, but he does have confidence issues and ive had to go extra slow with him his whole life because of it. hes such a good boy :)

New_image 09-01-2010 11:52 PM

for the last 2 months or so he has been consistently jumping 18" crossrails

I'm a big fan of "not beating a dead horse" with one thing. Just how "consistently" have you been doing this?
Its nice to jump... but if hes got the point and he clearly jumps these 18" crossrails nicely... Hasn't he EARNED the right to a trail ride? A trot around some poles? Some different patterns and activities in a different arena or on a trail or driveway or filed?

So... what does HE want to do? Have you asked that at all?

Lets put it this way, I train barrel horses. Most people run there barrel horses in the pattern every time they ride. I run them once ever 10 days for a few times around and if they're still sharp we hit the trail, we do some flexing in a field, we hop over a few low jumps or trot ground poles, we do something different with every ride.

cosmomomo 09-02-2010 12:01 AM

i go on trail rides at least once a week, if not more often. a lot of times ill work in the arena and go on a short trail ride after. and by "consistently" i mean, i jump him 3 days a week maybe four depending on how much refreshing i need to do without him refusing or seeming hesitant at them. im not that ignorant to not know that my horse would enjoy something different every now and then. i dont know anything about training barrel horses, but what ive learned from the jumping is that it takes a lot of repitition, especially with greenies who could be perfect one day, and act like they have no clue where their feet are the next.

Alcatrazjmpr 09-02-2010 09:07 PM

I agree with MyBoyPuck. Try raising them a little and see how he does, and definintely try gymnastics, they really help them pay attention. Also if you really think he is bored but are concerned about the height maybe try adding flower boxes or other "scary things" if you haven't already. Is he doing courses, try doing something he won't expect, if you always go straight in the line, do a bending line or a roll back just to keep his attenetion.Hope some of this helps!

cosmomomo 09-03-2010 12:07 AM

thanks guys :) i gave him the day off and walked him around the cow feild bareback for a few mins. he was more interested in the horses in the next feild then he was the cows five feet away from him xD. but ill try some of your ideas soon.

mcgillrobyn 09-03-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmomomo (Post 736449)
i go on trail rides at least once a week, if not more often. a lot of times ill work in the arena and go on a short trail ride after. and by "consistently" i mean, i jump him 3 days a week maybe four depending on how much refreshing i need to do without him refusing or seeming hesitant at them. im not that ignorant to not know that my horse would enjoy something different every now and then. i dont know anything about training barrel horses, but what ive learned from the jumping is that it takes a lot of repitition, especially with greenies who could be perfect one day, and act like they have no clue where their feet are the next.

You jump him 3 or 4 times a week ? That is a good way to blow his legs. I have learned from experience back it off or you will have nothing to jump period. I have a $20,000 pasture pet. I hope you dont end up with one! If your horse is refusing or hesitant then also dont be ignorant enough not to no he is being jumped way to much. Sorry to say this but perhaps you should be getting advise and not giving it. You need to do some research!

Once a week is enough for the horses training the rest is for your fun. Be careful

cosmomomo 09-03-2010 11:16 PM

i understand about blowing the horses legs and running them into the ground. trust me, i know a girl who does that, jumps for hours, 4' fences, the horse isnt fit. one day hes just gonna collapse. right now i ride for about 20 mins a day. and half of that is flatwork and bending and warming up. i like to end on a good note, so when he gets a perfect distance, or jumps the fence hes spooky at, we end it there, even if ive only ridden for 10 mins