The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   My First Show? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/my-first-show-63758/)

Bluezepher94 09-02-2010 02:00 AM

My First Show?

What do I need to know for my first (English) show?

Any tips? About how much will it cost? What exactly will I need to know/do?

Don't be afraid to explain the simple things, because I really don't know much at all about showing. S:

(I know my trainer will teach/explain most of this to me, but I'd like to find out as much as I can first.)

If you don't feel like typing stuff out, do you know of any good websites/other posts that explain it well?

Thanks! :D

ThatNinjaHorse 09-02-2010 02:40 AM

What type of show is it?

Bluezepher94 09-02-2010 02:51 AM

Whoops, sorry. xD Show Jumpers - probably in Equitation. =]

PurpleHorse 09-02-2010 05:17 PM

I've only just ridden in my first show this weekend, so I really have any good advice. But I do recommend being their early to watch the other classes. I found it really helpful being their to watch.

Also, I know I was so nervous and thought everyone around me looked so cool and collected - but then I saw a girl in the bathroom crying she was so scared. Once I was done, it felt so good. I was so excited to have competed. So just remember to have fun!

Good luck! :D

bigzee 09-13-2010 10:13 AM

Just make sure you are ready to hurry up and wait. Everything will run behind schedule. But the one time you aren't ready, the class will be. If you have time before your first show, tag along as a "groom" when your trainer goes to the next show. I did that, and learned a lot.

Bluezepher94 09-13-2010 05:28 PM

@PurpleHorse - Cool! (: Haha, aww, okay. xP Thanks!

@Bigzee - Haha, okay. :]] I'm going next week to a show just to see how everything works since I've never been to one. xP I'm going to [hopefully] start showing in Spring.

My Beau 09-13-2010 05:45 PM

As far as price goes, it depends on the level. But, a schooling hunter show with equitation classes might run you $5-$10 a class.