The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   To Cut, Or Not to Cut? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/cut-not-cut-63809/)

Clair 09-02-2010 06:49 PM

To Cut, Or Not to Cut?

Here's a picture of my boy, Kelty. (it's not a very good picture, taken on a phone..)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...y/Photo712.jpg

His mane has never really looked healthy, since I bought him a year ago. It was doing better for a while, but it kept bleaching in the sun and was dry, so I put a lot of stuff in it (I've MTG, cowboy magic and santa fe over the year) to protect it.. but now its just dull, frizzy, frayed, AND bleached.. (Plus, part of it was rubbed out and is now growing back like 4 inches long just sticking out)

So what do you think?
Should I give it new life and make it real short? Or just keep trying to take care of it damaged and long?

Thanks!

smrobs 09-02-2010 08:39 PM

It's all a matter of preferance. You can either leave it the way it is and try to keep it as healthy as possible or you can roach it off and let it grow back and keep it healthy while it's growing. Whatever you want to do. From the picture, it appears he would have a good neck to pull off a roach.

DressageIsToDance 09-02-2010 10:55 PM

I agree with smrobs. You would be best off I think to just roach it and let it start all over again. And I too think his neck could pull off a roach easily.

As it comes back, to prevent bleaching, use something like Quic Black - you know, darkening shampoos. Be sure to condition, use MTG, and really what you were doing before to make sure the new, healthy hair stays that way!

Solon 09-02-2010 11:03 PM

I wouldn't roach it. I don't think he's got the neck to pull that off. Use some MTG. Has been working great for my draft who was rubbing his mane off because it was itchy.

DressageIsToDance 09-02-2010 11:35 PM

But she says she has used MTG and apparently has not seen huge results on it as it is...and if she doesn't show, especially if she doesn't show in any conformational classes, honestly, even if his neck wouldn't pull it off, it would in the end be better for the OP and her horse to just bite the bullet and get the mane growing healthy from the start. At least, IMHO. :)

Solon 09-02-2010 11:37 PM

I'd try other products first. I've seen some people roach and then the mane didn't come back good at all at our barn!

Really think it out before you do it. I think the mane looks just fine personally. Nothing wrong with it all.

DressageIsToDance 09-03-2010 12:04 AM

Really? I've never heard of anyone having trouble getting hair to grow back after roaching.

I mean, she could pull it and that would remove a lot of the dead hair and leave new hairs. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. Brain fart I suppose.

Solon 09-03-2010 12:23 AM

Oh yeah. Quarter horse with kind of a stringy, fine mane and they roached it even though everyone said "don't do it" and it grew back worse. She tried MTG, everything from supplements to anything that had a side effect of hair growth and the poor horse just couldn't grow the mane back. It was sad because it had a real ugly neck! :-o

So every time I see these should I roach threads I say NOOOOO!!!!!! :lol:

DressageIsToDance 09-03-2010 12:31 AM

Well, I wouldn't necessarily cry no just because one horse had a problem...although it is something to consider.

We have an Appendix gelding who my trainer bought as a schoolhorse not to long ago, came with a roached mane and it's growing out fine, albeit it's at mohawk stage right now.

smrobs 09-03-2010 01:58 AM

Even with pulling, sometimes the mane grows back dinky. My brother's old bay horse was a team roping horse for several years and much of his mane from his withers to about a foot up his neck ended up getting pulled out because it would get tangled in the rope. That's been years ago and it still hasn't grown back. Talk about a goofy looking horse, he has a decent mane from his forelock and most of the way down his neck but about the last foot of it consists of about 4 hairs LOL.