The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sweating under a rug? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sweating-under-rug-63847/)

lopez 09-03-2010 04:43 AM

Sweating under a rug?

I wasn't sure when where this went so I'll just put it here.

Now I live in North Queensland and it's nearly summer here which means LOTS of rain. I can't get out to my horse everyday so I've decided to leave his rug on him most of the time and take it off him when I do go out (Twice during the week if I'm lucky and both Saturday and Sunday). But the problem is it get's so muggy up here! Today it was quite warm and I got Lopez and took off his rug he had sweat on his shoulder but he cooled off quite quickly.

I also noticed another horse was horribly hot so I ended up taking his rug off and he had rub marks. After he had cooled down I put his rug back on but it was easy to tell it was hurting him like crazy.

Was I right to take his rug off and let him cool down?

I'm going out again tommorow and was thinking of catching him and taking his rug off again and letting him wander around in the round yard for a little bit. Is it my right to do this or should I just leave it?

And is Lopez sweating under his rug bad? He needs the rug on but is it doing him harm to leave it on?

Kayty 09-03-2010 04:53 AM

What kind of rug do you have on him? Overheating is BAD, they're better to go naked. You can buy good rain sheets, are just an unlined synthetic, that are quite light and breathable. But definitely don't put any heavy, winter rugs on just because of the rain.

You were right to take the other horse's rug off, but I would have left it off, if it was causing him pain you should have taken it off and told the owner that it was giving him grief.

lopez 09-03-2010 04:58 AM

I believe Lopez has a WeatherBeeta rug on. The last time summer rolled around he got rain scouring awfully bad and I couldn't ride for months. He also dropped a lot of condition.

But I was defiantly wondering about him over-heating.

And this other horse. I haven't actually met the owners. Tomorrow I will take his rug off again, he just wasn't comfortable.

Kayty 09-03-2010 05:05 AM

Ok, well I would invest in a rain sheet. A full winter weatherbeeta is not good in muggy weather, it won't breathe and he'll get skin problems that may rival the annoyance of rain scour.

Put it this way. Do you feel like walking around in a fleece lined, waterproof jacket with a fairly thick knitted shirt on underneath (hair) at the moment? If not, then I can promise you, Lopez doesn't want to either!

lopez 09-03-2010 05:09 AM

Good point! I'll have a look around for one.

Thanks for the help!

Kayty 09-03-2010 05:12 AM

Just hop onto ebay, look up horse rain sheets and you should find something :)
If you can get one with a mesh lining, even better. It'll keep him warm enough when it gets a bit wet, but cool enough so as not to majorly over heat.

lopez 09-03-2010 05:14 AM

WeatherBeeta Landa Original Combo Lite

I'm pretty sure this is the same style as Lopez's. His is just an older version. From what I've seen there's no fleece in it. It's just like a . . . light canvas-y material.

Kayty 09-03-2010 05:18 AM

Hmm ok, so it's not a full winter rug. The weatherbeeta's do tend to be a but warmer though and don't breathe so well unfortunately, in the really humid times of year from what I've heard. Just a rain sheet without the neck will suffice, they're not expensive, but try to find one that is very light. If he's starting to sweat up now, as it gets warmer he will be feeling quite uncomfortable.

lopez 09-03-2010 05:19 AM

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'll look into it.

Thankies : )