The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I am Allergic to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-am-allergic-horses-63898/)

kruiser 09-03-2010 11:16 PM

I am Allergic to Horses
 
Okay I am a teenage girl who is extremely allergic to horses. I love them more than anything else in the entire world. After I ride (even with my Allegra pills! zyrtec and clariton don't work) I get rashes, sneezes and respiratory problems. I ride once a week on a beautiful white Paint horse named Casper and I do hunter/jumpers. I really want to ride more but because of my horrible allergies I can't, but I do want the hypoallergenic American Bashkir Curly horse. I live in Florida and there are unfortunately none in my area because of the warm weather :cry: Do any other riders know any ABC horses? Is anybody else allergic too and what do you do to be able to ride more???? And what does everyone else think! Thanks :-)

Equus_girl 09-03-2010 11:24 PM

Welcome to the forum! I'm not allergic to horses but my friend is. She has very bad allergies if she is around them at all. She doesn't have her own though so she rarely is around them.

My Uncle also has terrible allergies - he almost died twice and once was from our budgies. He had to take the puffer up to 20 times a day which was really bad! What has really worked for him is drinking more water. Yes, water! Sounds simple but it works. He drinks 3 - 4 litres a day (with salt) and is doing great. Salt is bad if you don't drink enough water but it you drink lots you need a quarter teaspoon for every litre of water.

He now can be around cats, dogs and drive by canola fields (which almost used to kill him) and have zero reaction.

The other thing he is taking that he knows is helping is something called chlorella. It is an algae and is a whole food. It is basically good for everything but he is having amazing results with just that and water.

PM me if you want more information on the chlorella. I myself have taken it for 2 months now and it is great stuff!

I hope this is helpful to you - allergies are a tough thing to have!

kruiser 09-03-2010 11:32 PM

yea I know. I hate my allergies so much. They are the worst. I might try the water with the salt. I have personally never heard of chlorella. What is it?

A knack for horses 09-03-2010 11:55 PM

Welcome!

I'm not allergic to horses, but I am allergic to dust, mold, pollen (I'm mildly allergic to it though), misquito bites, spider bites,....basically anything that comes along with riding/barn work. And to make it worse, my instructor keeps his horses in a converted grain barn that is over 100 years old. So his barn doesn't have the greatest ventilation. To make things worse, he doesn't have enough time to clean his barn as thouroghly as he needs to; so dust, cobwebs, and stray clumps of molding hay are everywhere. After a while, I took it upon myself to clean the barn.

After the first day cleaning the barn (I was in there for 2 hours), I got sick. I was so sick I was bedridden for 4 days. I had an asthma attack and my asthma/allergy symptoms didn't clear up for almost 2 weeks. (It ended up I had a bacterial infection from the old stray hay pieces, on top of my allergic reaction).

Sorry, a little bit of a rant, but I have a point to it.

Last week, I cleaned the barn for six hours straight without any ill side effects. How did I do it?

Face masks!

You can buy the house grade at Wal-mart for about 2 dollars for a pack of fifteen. They work wonders because it blocks out the most of the dust particles and mold spores. You might have to get a higher grade, but they are worth a shot. It might not block out all of the dander, but it would reduce the amount you inhale. (which even if you took in 1/2 of what you normally do, that could do wonders)

As for your rash, I would wear long sleeve shirts along with your jeans/breeches. It will help minimize your skin exposure to the horse dander (is that what they call it?).

Hope this helps! Good luck!

A knack for horses 09-04-2010 12:03 AM

I noticed you said you take zyertec as well. If you are taking the OTC kind, I would talk to your doctor about doses. The reason that it is now otc, is because they reduced the potency of a reccomended dose. Your doctor may perscribe you to take a higher dose than what is on the label. That is what my friend's doctor did for her. And taking the higher dose her doctor said to take did the trick for her.

Equus_girl 09-04-2010 12:10 AM

Face masks are a good idea! However my friend used them and it really didn't help her. I sure would try them though.

I'll PM you our website on chlorella. It is really interesting and is very informative.

Amba1027 09-04-2010 12:22 AM

I know how you feel. I am allergic to anything with fur, hay, dust, basiclly anything and everything you would find in a barn. I always confuse poeple when I tell them I am allergic to cats and dogs because we have so many, and that I ride even though I'm allergic.

Face masks can help. My friend's dad used to make me wear one whenever I was out at the barn after one incident when my eyes got swollen shut from petting the horses.

I used to get allergy shots which helped I guess. I say I guess because my allergies aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. At the same time, I used to work at my vets office with no problem, but after 3 years there I started not being able to breathe after about half an hour of work. I don't know why my allergies got worse at work but not at home, and going to the barn doesn't bother me.

Anyway you might try asking your parents to see if you can get allergy shots. It might not help because I don't know if they have developed a shot for horses (there were only certain things that the shot was supposed to help with and others that they didn't have a serum for). It's worth a shot (no pun intended)!

Skipsfirstspike 09-04-2010 12:29 AM

I had a few terrible summers back when I was 19 and 20. Terribly allergic! Whether it was to the horses or the hay or what, I was never officially tested so I don't know. But if I touched a horse and later touched my face, I just about wanted to scratch my eyes out. I had to wear clear safety glasses to groom, and gloves so as not to touch my eyes with 'horsey' hands. Did I mention that I worked as a trail guide? No escape, I was in agony! (But obviously would not give up That job, lol).
The allergies have gradually lessened as I have gotten older. (I am 25, and have stayed that age for 11 years).
I would say at this point that if you are on meds and they are not helping at all, talk to your doctor about some different meds.
Good luck!

Shalani 09-04-2010 02:07 AM

I know your pain ! I'm allergic and have been all my life ! I have also been around horses since I was 2 and its improved a bit . I have noticed I am more allergic to other people horses now then my own . I have had the same 2 Arabs for the last 6yrs and have built up immunity to them somewhat lol they still make me sneeze but I wont have a massive sneezing fit & itchy eyes like i do with other horses.

So if you get yourself a Bashkir Curly horse and allow your body to adjust ( as long as it doesnt kill you ) hopefully you will build some immunity to your own horse like I have.

Good luck :)

Amba1027 09-04-2010 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shalani (Post 738334)
I know your pain ! I'm allergic and have been all my life ! I have also been around horses since I was 2 and its improved a bit . I have noticed I am more allergic to other people horses now then my own . I have had the same 2 Arabs for the last 6yrs and have built up immunity to them somewhat lol they still make me sneeze but I wont have a massive sneezing fit & itchy eyes like i do with other horses.

So if you get yourself a Bashkir Curly horse and allow your body to adjust ( as long as it doesnt kill you ) hopefully you will build some immunity to your own horse like I have.

Good luck :)

I have noticed this too with my cats and dogs. Whenever I'm around someone elses cats/dogs my allergies act up, but I am fine at home. Or like right now we have a new dog living in the garage and whenever he licks me I have to remember to wash it off really well or I'll get a rash. I don;t have to do that with the dogs we've had for years. I was just wondering the other day if maybe I had become immune to my pets because I'm around them so much.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0