The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Mustangs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/mustangs-63938/)

KTLTLove 09-04-2010 06:11 PM

Mustangs?

I've always LOVED mustangs, and the first pony I own, I would love for it to be a mustang. Can mustangs be considered horses, or are they always below the pony height mark?

How is there jumping? I used to ride a mustang at my old barn and we never got to jump very high, and I assumed it was because of her size. How high can they jump?

And how is there over all behavior and um.. how would I explain it... There um ride? I guess.. Haha I can't think of the right words. Do they have any outstanding health problems?

And any other interesting facts or weird things you might have to add welcome!

Eastowest 09-04-2010 06:44 PM

Mustangs will vary quite a bit in height depending on where they were captured-- different herds have different "mixes" -- some have TB, draft, Arab, QH, pony, and etc. mixed in from domestic horses being turned out with the wild herds.

The more "pure" type Spanish Colonial mustang, and/or mustangs from isolated herds with little recent crosses added-- Kiger, Sulphur Mt, Pryor Mt., Cerbat, etc-- usually are more uniform within their group-- some are horse-sized, but there are pretty few of those who reach or exceed 15 hands.

Solon 09-04-2010 07:24 PM

Most horses called mustangs are really feral horses and not true mustangs like Kigers and some of the ones in the Badlands herds.

So, they do vary.

We adopted mustangs from BLM and my grandfather trained them and sold them to the Forest Service for riding and pack animals. When he was younger, he raised mustangs and was able to get some of the Nez Perce ponies as well.

Again, it's what/how you want to train them for. We always fond them to be really hearty. Good trail horses.

smrobs 09-04-2010 08:16 PM

Like the other posters said, it depends on which herd you get them from. Both of mine came from the wyoming area and are both under 15 hands (14.2 and 14.3). There is another member on here with a mustang that is well over 15 hands. Big ones can be found, but you have to look a little harder. As for their jumping...... there is a reason why the BLM requires you to have 6 foot fencing before you can adopt. They can and will jump out over anything they can get their head over until they are tamed down some.

As for overall behavior and temperment, it's just like any other horse. Some are really mellow and others are really spirited, some travel smooth and others travel rough, depending on their conformation.

The only real possible health problem is that they are super easy keepers. Mine get fat on air and obesity itself causes problems in all horses. Other than that, I've not heard of any common health deficiencies.

All in all, with the proper training, they make nice little horses. I use mine for ranch work and they can work just as hard for twice as long as all the QHs we have.

phoenix 09-08-2010 07:07 PM

I have a half mustang half appaloosa, he's 16.1hh. When he was younger he was very spirited but has mellowed with age and experience. He loves to free jump, doesn't jump very high because he has some hip issues from his former life with his former owners.

I agree with smrobs, they are easy keepers. mine gets super fat just looking at grass, he wears a grazing muzzle and still manages to put on weight.

corinowalk 09-08-2010 07:12 PM

I have always loved mustangs. While looking at another post today I came across this website Trainers

Basically what it is is a training program supported by the BLM (in charge of mustangs in the wild) that gives trainers from across the country the chance to adopt and train mustangs. The great part of this is, you can adopt a gentled, greenbroke or better mustang for the same price that you would pick him up off the range $125.

KTLTLove 09-08-2010 08:37 PM

Corino, is adoption available for people like me? I'm only 14 years old.

Solon 09-08-2010 08:46 PM

You have to be an adult.

KTLTLove 09-08-2010 08:48 PM

Oh.. Darnn...

Solon 09-08-2010 08:50 PM

If your parents are willing to do it, you could go that way. That's what my grandfather did for me.