The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Where can I find this bit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/where-can-i-find-bit-63942/)

DressageIsToDance 09-04-2010 05:47 PM

Where can I find this bit?

I'm thinking of seeing if Jack likes sweet iron. But I don't want to change the bit he uses itself - we use a french link eggbutt snaffle, and he like it and goes very well in it.

I've looked around for it but can't find it online...haven't see it in any tack stores around here either. :? Anyone know of a site that sells them?

CloudsMystique 09-04-2010 05:53 PM

Would you be willing to try an o-ring? That's all I can find...

Korsteel Sweet Iron French Link Snaffle Bit - Statelinetack.com

AngelWithoutWings54 09-04-2010 07:18 PM

Korsteel Eggbutt Snaffle - Sweet Iron Mouth: Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com - I found this one if you don't mind a single joint

Dover Saddlery | Stübben STEELtec Eggbutt Snaffle Bit . - here's sweet copper...

Sorry, that was all I could find. Maybe try local tack stores?

DressageIsToDance 09-04-2010 07:26 PM

I saw the loose ring, and was thinking about it...it might work. I'll see what my trainer's opinion is.

What I'm looking for seems to be unusual though, apparently. But it must be double jointed, whatever it is, preferably french link. Jack doesn't like the "nutcracker" action of the single joint.

kitten_Val 09-04-2010 08:29 PM

I use this one Mikmar Bit Company (got it in Dover). My horse has 5 1/4 size, which is pretty hard to find in config I wanted (double jointed + eggbutt). She likes it over 5 different bits I tried, and this mouthpiece tastes pretty good (yes, yes, I tried it in my mouth :wink: ).

BTW, loose rings didn't work for her - she went crazy. Definitely prefers the stability of eggbutt.

DressageIsToDance 09-04-2010 08:44 PM

At least I'm not the only one who tastes the bit before I put it in the horse's mouth. :lol: I thought I was a weirdo for that.

Jack also likes stability, which is why I'm more hesitant to go loose ring. I think it might be something that irritated him.

kitten_Val 09-04-2010 08:53 PM

Dover Saddlery | Herm Sprenger KK Ultra Eggbutt Snaffle Bit . but price is OMG! :shock: BTW, I have KK Ultra lorenzo loose ring for my paint (very nice bit!), but it was half cheaper than this one.

Dover Saddlery | AlBaCon French Link Eggbutt Snaffle Bit . decent bit, with some taste, and I used it when I started my horses. They seem to prefer Mikmar and KK Ultra more, but I'm unsure it's because of the taste or the middle link (which is lorenzo vs french), and unfortunately it doesn't come in 5 1/4, so I ended up switching to Mikmar.

Dover Saddlery | Stübben STEELtec Eggbutt Snaffle Bit . (already mentioned by someone). I never tried this one, but I'm not positive it's legal for dressage (not mentioned anywhere, and the mid piece does look different color on pic).

kitten_Val 09-04-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DressageIsToDance (Post 738783)
Jack also likes stability, which is why I'm more hesitant to go loose ring. I think it might be something that irritated him.

You never know. :-) My paint prefers loose rings - she likes to play with the bit, qh doesn't like to play so moving rings run her crazy - she was shaking the head and pinned ears constantly.

DressageIsToDance 09-04-2010 08:57 PM

I actually have a loose ring, but it's single joint so I wouldn't get a clear impression of whether he likes the rings or not because he'd probably be telling me loud and clear about his dislike of the single joint. :-P