The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Color experts-Is he going to roan out? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/color-experts-he-going-roan-out-64001/)

Citrus 09-05-2010 01:02 PM

Color experts-Is he going to roan out?

2 Attachment(s)
My Citrus boy is bay.... he is out of a dark bay mare and by a palomino stallion. He has many white hairs all over his body- more than just the occassional hair- enough to notice though. He just turned 5 in late July.

Does this mean he is going to roan out? I would have thought he would have done it by now.... or could this just be his fathers paly genes coming through?

Oh and his sires sire is a palomino as well.

And it is hilarious to see that Citrus gives me his mothers looks, how her neck and head are turned with a tilt of the nose and that his usual state of head carriage looks just like his fathers.....

Citrus 09-05-2010 02:13 PM

So I did some research and it says that roans are basically the same color through out life.... and that horses can go grey.....

MacabreMikolaj 09-05-2010 08:24 PM

No on almost all of those questions. :lol:

Roans don't change color like grey, and if a horse isn't showing signs of grey by 5 years old, he's not going to grey. Sometimes roan can be hidden by a foal coat, but if your horse is going to be roan you will KNOW it by 6 months to a year old. Your horse an't just turn roan and he can't just turn grey - he also can't be roan or grey unless one of his parents were.

Many horses have white hairs throughout their body - it could be an indication of rabicano, but often, it's just white hairs. My Arab mare is covered in white hairs, and some think she's rabicano.

His father's palomino genes mean absolutely nothing in this situation - he came out bay, which means he never got the cream, which means nothing to do with the palomino side is going to effect him.

Citrus 09-05-2010 09:17 PM

What a wonderful answer.... I really like him bay and am glad to hear from more than one source (my own and you) that while he is speckled, he is not going to roan out :)