The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hoof Injury (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-injury-64025/)

Alcatrazjmpr 09-05-2010 04:21 PM

Hoof Injury

My horse had a bad farrier experience, where the farrier lopped off a big chunk of his heel, all the way down to the soft part of his foot. We had the vet come out and do x-rays to make sure nothing else was wrong and his x-rays were clean, but we found out his hoof was sitting at a negative two angle so he is now in asix degree pad. The farrier said it will take a year for the heel to fully grow in which I understand. But I was wondering if anyone has had a experience like this? How long did it take before your horse was consistently sound again? He is still on and off sound, he gets sore after about two days of riding at this point, he had a month off prior so he isn't doing much. Was there anything that helped with hoof soreness?

Solon 09-05-2010 07:42 PM

Did the vet say to decrease riding at all? I think it's just going to take time. Some horses have fast hoof growth and some don't. My horse is going through a crazy fast stage this year for some reason.

Wish you the best of luck in a quick recovery!

Alcatrazjmpr 09-05-2010 10:09 PM

Thanks. The vet and farrier said see what he is comfortable with, he has had about a month off between figuring out just how bad the angl was and him adjusting to the new angles and getting his foot hardened up. I'm using Keratex, and he is on a vasodialator to help his feet grow. I was just wondering if anyone had any seen anything like it, and if being on and off sound is normal coming back from a foot problem.

Solon 09-05-2010 10:31 PM

Does he have pasture turn out? If so, he may get a little sore after running around and playing.

I think what you are doing is good and hopefully time will pass by quickly for you!

loosie 09-05-2010 11:05 PM

Hi,

Hoof pics & info on management would be helpful if you want any specific advice.

Did he have high heels & the farrier was over zealous & tried to 'correct' them in one hit? What exactly do you mean "all the way down to the soft part of his foot"? Do you mean he trimmed the heels into the corium/lateral cartilages, or that his frog was now touching the ground?

Anyway, yes, negative palmer angles mean wedge pads may well be helpful. I would be inclined to keep the horse unshod until his feet are rehabbed, and use boots with pads to support/protect him. Especially if a lot has been removed from his heels, he is likely to have very weak, sensitive heel bulbs & digital cushions, so in order for him to be comfortable enough to use his feet correctly(land heel first) he will need padding.

I wouldn't be using anything like Keratex. For one, his feet don't need to get harder & more brittle, they need to *grow thicker*.

As for time frame, I wouldn't imagine it would take a year to regrow adequately(tho of course I'm lacking details on what's happened). But the best 'vasodilator' and promoter of growth is lots of hoof function - that is exercise, so long as the hooves are able to function properly. As mentioned, comfort is one big factor in this, as is ability for the hooves to expand & contract with movement, which may be negated with shoes, as is the ability for the entire hoof to be working properly, which may also be negated with shoes that force the walls to take the entire load while providing no support or protection for the rest of the hoof.

Alcatrazjmpr 09-05-2010 11:39 PM

I will try to take a couple of picture of his foot. He always he a little bit of a low heel, and the farrier we were using started not really paying attention and shaved off more than needed. It was down to the lateral cartilage, if you pushed the area it gave. We took x-rays with the shoes on and off, with the vet and farrier there, and found how low his heel had gotten. Without the shoes he just didn't have the support for his heels. He will just go for walks until he isn't so sensitive.

smrobs 09-05-2010 11:46 PM

Wow, poor guy. I don't have any advice but I will send good and healing thoughts your way.

Alcatrazjmpr 09-06-2010 10:14 AM

Thank you, I appreciate it! And I appreciate all the advice.

MaggiStar 09-06-2010 01:55 PM

wow no advice expcept maybe add biotin to his feed.

Alcatrazjmpr 09-07-2010 10:20 PM

I have been toying with adding a biotin supplement for a few months, I've heard mixed things about them. I guess it's worth a try if it will make him more comfortable, which is my main goal.
Posted via Mobile Device