The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Teaching my horse to be a reining horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/teaching-my-horse-reining-horse-64067/)

RiddingRawhide 09-06-2010 12:04 AM

Teaching my horse to be a reining horse?

I have a 4 year old Halflinger/Paint that I know would be awesome at reining. He's short & stocky, and he can gallop & stop like no other horse. I know what reining is, but I don't know how to get him to slide stop & pivot fast, he knows how to pivot, but he gets frustrated when I ask him to turn faster, and he will just lock up [ yeah, he's wierd ] . How could I teach him to become an awesome reining horse? Thanks !

Sunny 09-06-2010 12:29 AM

Get a trainer to help you.
Posted via Mobile Device

RiddingRawhide 09-06-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny (Post 739982)
Get a trainer to help you.

I don't have the money to train my horse to do reining, but I do have a private trainer, but she's never reined before. So thanks for sooooooooo much help ........:-x

Sunny 09-06-2010 12:39 AM

Hey, hey, hey. Take your sarcastic remarks elsewhere. Reining is not something you just get a manual and "do-it-yourself." Reining is one of the most in-depth and complicated Western disciplines, if not the most. It's not a 1)Kick here, 2)Lift right rein here, 3)Yank the reins back here. You can't get instructions over the internet on such a complex sport.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spastic_Dove 09-06-2010 12:57 AM

Sorry, but Sunny gave you the right advice and the same advice most people are going to give you. Take some lessons with a reining trainer. If you don't know what you're doing, no one can teach you how to do it and expect you to go implement it.

ridergirl23 09-06-2010 01:01 AM

if you have a private trainer right now, switch to a different private trainer who teaches reining, easy as that.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 09-06-2010 01:31 AM

Exactly. If you really want it, I could write you a seven hundred page booklet on how to get your horse to spin flat and quick or dig deep into the ground for a sliding stop, all the while perfecting clean lead changes, vocal cues, neck reining, the do's-and-dont's, blah blah blah. But all that typing I'd do for you would end up being no help because the minute you get on your horse to try it, you'll more than likely do it wrong just like me and every other reiner in the world did at first. And then with no trainer to correct you you would continue to do it wrong and wonder why it's not working. That's what happens when people try and take on something this hard without assistance.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsey123 09-06-2010 01:51 AM

Sorry I dont know how to do that! But I hope you get how to do it.

franknbeans 09-06-2010 06:34 AM

As one who has just this year gotten a horse who I have started in reining training-I will tell you first hand-you have NO clue how complicated and intricate the cues are. I have ridden 40+yrs, mostly english, and decided to make a change. So, I had pretty good riding ability, and did not do this on a whim. I am fining that there are SO many little "rules" as the horse gets trained, so that you don't mess them up. Once they are messed up, it becomes twice as hard (at least) to train them. I have spent 5 afternoons a week (plus weekend shows) just WATCHING the trainer with my horse, and how he cues him, plus others with theirs, to see all the slight movements of seat and leg. It is very complicated, and as everyone above has said-not something you should try on your own. What you can work on is moving all 6 parts of your horse with your leg. (front, middle, back on both sides). You could probably also start teaching your horse the owrd "Whoa", so that when you say it, he does it-NOW.(just a stop. no sitting, sliding, etc) Back up after you stop, then when you start again, turn, instead of going straight. You could also probably start on getting your horse to do a large fast circle and small slow circles at the lope. Other than that, there is nothing I would do without a trainer. It is just TOO easy to screw them up-especially the spin, IMO. Also keep in mind, I am of the opinion that it takes lots and lots of time, practice and patience to have a good reiner. There are no shortcuts. You want them to do everything correct before they can do it fast.
Good luck and hope you can find a trainer to help you.

Citrus 09-06-2010 09:19 AM

I have to agree that the "get a trainer" comment is not always what I am looking for. My guess is that when paired with an explanation of why would have been much easier to take.

I am wondering if your horse is locking up because he is frustrated. My horse locks up when I am not being clear. Have you tried cueing and releasing for each two to three steps so your horse knows to keep going?