The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Elective Pregnancy Termination/Abortion in Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/elective-pregnancy-termination-abortion-horses-64074/)

rocky pony 09-06-2010 03:25 AM

Elective Pregnancy Termination/Abortion in Horses

I'm looking for more information about this topic, as I know extremely little about it both in humans and horses.
  • Is this a common practice? Is it a reasonable action to take in a situation more along the lines of that in which you just can't take on the cost of a foal, rather than a reason like high health risks, etc?
  • Is it a risky or expensive procedure?
  • How long into a pregnancy do you have to safely carry out the procedure?
Trust me, if I come into a situation where I ever need to seriously consider this option I will consult my vet and work closely with him, but for now I just want to learn a little bit more for the sake of knowing.

Thanks!

CheyAut 09-06-2010 03:32 AM

Easy to do early in pregnancy with a shot. If the pregnancy goes on too long though, it's too risky to the mare and should not be done.

rocky pony 09-06-2010 03:38 AM

Around when would that point be, do you know?

MaggiStar 09-06-2010 02:04 PM

I know in humans the further on you get the more expensive it is. So you catch it as soon as you notice and abort the fetus

Twilight Arabians 09-08-2010 04:51 AM

I had a yearling filly get prego while I was boarding her, thankfully they told me about it and I had her checked, vet said she was about 2 months along, took 4 shots and it was aborted with no isssues, each shot was about $30 if I remember right, all together I think it was around $250, the vet had to come out twice and check her. Not a fun thing to do really, I still feel bad about having to abort the foal but after speaking with my vet, letting her have it could have killed her and severely stunted her growth. Also I hate giving my horses shots, so that was hard for me but she was really good about it, after they get the shot they brake out in a massive sweat that last for about 30mins or so, so that was kinda scary for me, also I was only 15 at the time.

Eastowest 09-16-2010 03:27 AM

My vet will not abort a mare via the shot past 90 days PG, but from what I hear from others he is rather conservative-- I have heard different people say their vets will go up to 120 to 145 days into the pregnancy.

mom2pride 09-16-2010 10:50 PM

The longer you go into the pregnancy, the riskier it gets...Most vets I've encountered don't like to go any more than 90-100 days.

The termination is usually done via shots (lutalyse, usually), and doesn't normally have any ill effects.

Now, if a mare is at risk later on in pregnancy due to health issues, you would have to have it surgically done normally...spendy, and definitely not without risk in itself.

Twigletta 09-23-2010 09:58 AM

I did this on a mare I bought in foal. I really didn't like the stallion and it was pretty early on in the pregnancy (about 2.5 months if I remember correctly). Mare was jabbed 3 times and then aborted foal. It was a bit smaller than a rugby ball and perfectly formed. We left it in with her and she fussed it for a few hours then totally ignored it. She never seemed any the worse for her ordeal and happily went straight back into ridden work.