The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Halter Show Grooming Question!... Coloring Hooves black? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/halter-show-grooming-question-coloring-hooves-64106/)

Velvetgrace 09-06-2010 01:41 PM

Halter Show Grooming Question!... Coloring Hooves black?

My mare has three white hooves and 1 black. Two of the white hooves, have a split / crack in them. They are in good shape, but show the crack. I have seen several photos from Well known shows that all four hooves have been painted black, even the ones with white socks on the legs.

I plan on going to a local show saturday. Should I just go ahead and paint the hooves black?

Amir 09-06-2010 07:50 PM

I've always been taught that if your horse has white hooves you paint them with a clear laquer and only paint the black hooves with hoof black... Not sure how true this is or anything. It would look a bit strange to only paint one or two with black and leave the rest.
My horse has 4 white hooves so they're just washed and left.

Scoutrider 09-06-2010 08:16 PM

I would do a trial run with all 4 clear and with all 4 black and see which way flatters her more, especially since you're doing halter. Sometimes some clear and some black just looks silly, sometimes it works well. Personally, I think black polished hooves with socks tend to make those legs look bigger, like the horse is wearing galoshes.

I've always just done clear polish, even on horses without a speck of chrome. I love the natural hoof color with a little gloss. Fortunately now I can actually justify clear polish on Mr. Four-socks! :lol:

ThatNinjaHorse 09-06-2010 08:18 PM

Its up to you. I always paint them black, and the only time ive ever seen the clear was on an arab halter horse at a local show.
I think painting them black shows off the white legs better, and kind of 'highlights' they're movement when they trot, if you get what i mean..

DaraT 09-06-2010 11:07 PM

My personal preference is natural colored hooves. I've seen black on all four hooves in some breed shows. If this local show is for a particular breed, you might check their rule book. Otherwise, it will probably be what you like best on your horse.