The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Just curious... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/just-curious-64132/)

corgi 09-06-2010 07:23 PM

Just curious...

4 Attachment(s)
My husband and I are hoping to lease the horses we have been riding for our lessons, Lucky and Silver. I am still learning about horse breeds so I want to know if we are correct about the breeds of these two horses.

From what I have read, Silver is a Pinto...but that is just a color, correct? Would you say that Silver is a Paint or a QH? Or something else?

Lucky is a liver chestnut? QH?

Any help would be appreciated. Like I said, we are still learning. We started riding a little later in life but have become "horse crazy" and can't get enough.

BarrelRacer86 09-06-2010 07:33 PM

pinto is just a color, any breed except QH and TB can be pintos. A paint is a breed, but they can have QH and TB bloodlines. QH can't have that much white on them, if they did it would be a crop out and be registered Paint even if all his lines are QH. but unless silver comes from paint or QH lines he's just a pinto not a paint. Not really sure what you want to know about the other one, if they say its a QH it looks like a QH

corgi 09-06-2010 10:52 PM

I haven't been told anything about their breeds....I am just guessing.

So, there is no way just by looking to know if Silver is a Paint? And do you just use the term Pinto if you don't know the breed?

PaintHorseMares 09-06-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corgi (Post 740879)
So, there is no way just by looking to know if Silver is a Paint?

There is no way to know by looking since a registered (APHA) Paint has parentage requirements, i.e. at least one parent must be a registered Paint (the other can be a registered QH or TB).

Quote:

And do you just use the term Pinto if you don't know the breed?
Typically yes, and I've been in many parts of the country where folks have actually never heard of a Paint and call any such colored horse a Pinto.

ridergirl23 09-06-2010 11:12 PM

i dont know to much about all the color stuff, but i must say, they are very gorgeous horses!!! i like their type of build

corgi 09-07-2010 09:24 AM

Thanks for the info!

They are also so much fun to ride! Silver's lope is so smooth.

kimber769 09-07-2010 10:52 AM

The one definitely looks QH, the pinto, by looking at his head, he may have some draft in him. But I am in no way an expert! Either way they are very nice looking horses.

Speed Racer 09-07-2010 11:13 AM

If they're not registered, they're grade horses.

Really, does it matter what breeds they might be? They look like nice horses, and if they're fun to ride, that's all that really matters. :wink:

corgi 09-07-2010 12:59 PM

You are right...it doesn't matter. I am just trying to learn as much as I can and so many of the postings on this Forum discuss particular breeds so I was just curious...

Thanks!

farmpony84 09-07-2010 01:32 PM

I would call them a paint and a QH if it were me.....