The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Natural Horsemen? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/natural-horsemen-64144/)

nobody2121 09-06-2010 08:47 PM

Natural Horsemen?

Just got back from a clinic, the clinician was leading the horse around with the lead rope up across his shoulder, first sign he was clueless(do not know one horseman that does that)! Then the lead rope was had not float in it.
But the main thing he was promoting his bitless bridle, but was still hanging on the horse, that is just as annoying to the horse as if he had a bit in his mouth!
Big difference between horse owners and Horsemen!

ridergirl23 09-06-2010 08:52 PM

I dont really know the point of your post... but i lead my horse like that all the time, or in my belt loop, or tucked in my arm, and i can promise, im not clueless on how a horse can react to things.

Im a horse owner and i would call myself a growing horsewomen........

.Delete. 09-06-2010 08:55 PM

I dont get it either..sorry

lilruffian 09-06-2010 09:02 PM

I'd imagine the reason he was leading the horse with just a rope is to show natural horsemanship, in that he didn't have to have the rope strapped to the horse's face by a halter to control him. The horse was willing to listen without one...

Scoutrider 09-06-2010 09:03 PM

I don't get it either...

In an arena, or any other area where a sudden spook doesn't result in a completely loose horse, I'll frequently drape the lead over my shoulder or forearm if I stop to let the horse relax, or to talk to someone, whatever. I see no problem, and if doing so makes me less of a horseman, so be it. Shoot, sometimes I might just tie the rope in a loose loop around the horse's neck, or even take it off completely and continue to do groundwork. :shock::wink:

No comment on the bitless bridle - I didn't see "him", so I can't say whether "he" was hanging on the horse or not. Certain bitless bridles seemingly can be ridden on a contact, just like any other (English/snaffle) bit. Can't comment much on that either; I don't own a legit bitless bridle. Just halters and snaffle setups.

nobody2121 09-06-2010 09:03 PM

It is very sad to see some many that make comments on someone that have not watched in person or worked with that horse.

lilruffian 09-06-2010 09:04 PM

Going the other way, if he did have a halter on the horse & just left the rope to hang loose over his shoulder this would also be a way to display horsemanship & how the horse was completely willing to follow without him pulling on the lead.

Scoutrider 09-06-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody2121 (Post 740801)
It is very sad to see some many that make comments on someone that have not watched in person or worked with that horse.

So the thread is rather pointless, isn't it?? If you are the only one to have seen this clinic, and only those who have watched (nobody2121) or actually worked the horse ("HIM") can comment?? Not exactly the most discussion-inviting topic...

nobody2121 09-06-2010 09:06 PM

there was NO float in the rope! means he was not leading but dragging, he didnt know the difference!

Jake and Dai 09-06-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody2121 (Post 740801)

Then what was the purpose of your post? Typically, when folks post something on a forum, other folks comment and discuss. It's what the forums are for.