The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Should I breed this mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/should-i-breed-mare-64158/)

darkpaloma 09-07-2010 12:21 AM

Should I breed this mare?

3 Attachment(s)
This is my mare Paloma she is healthy sane and sound 15.2 hands and 14 years old. I want to know should I breed, I am a trainer in training lol and was wondering what type of stallion to breed her too because of her long back I am only looking to get one foal out of her so this will be my first and last foaling, I have done the needed research on breeding itself such as medical costs Etc, But I just don't know what to breed her too, it will be a Quarter Horse and it wont be registered, however I would like to have something that looks good and doesn't turn out to be a lemon. Paloma is the most level headed horse I have ever had, she is smart willing and I would go as far to say completely trust worth a 3 year old could ride her all day no bad habits and as far as I can tell no hereditary defects other than the long back, please help If I decide to breed her it will be next year around June or July. So let me know show me some pics of good looking sires and I will got from there, I am on the Texas Oklahoma Border and can get sires from either state. Thanks and Have A Good One!

Charis 09-07-2010 12:29 AM

"I would like to have something that looks good and doesn't turn out to be a lemon."

If you want to be certain of a horse's conformation or soundness, buy one that's already on the ground. Imo, this mare shouldn't be bred; her conformation is less than ideal and it sounds like you should re-think why you want to breed. Unwanted Registered horses are a dime a dozen right now; Unregistered Unwanted horses stand a better chance of a one-way ticket to a packing plant than finding a good home.

Solon 09-07-2010 12:34 AM

Her neck doesn't tie in well with her shoulder, she's got a week hind end and her back is really long. Charis is right. If you are looking for non-lemon type of horse you would have better luck buying one. It's such a gamble when you breed. Even if you found a good stallion, you can never be certain.

darkpaloma 09-07-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charis (Post 741149)
"I would like to have something that looks good and doesn't turn out to be a lemon."

If you want to be certain of a horse's conformation or soundness, buy one that's already on the ground. Imo, this mare shouldn't be bred; her conformation is less than ideal and it sounds like you should re-think why you want to breed. Unwanted Registered horses are a dime a dozen right now; Unregistered Unwanted horses stand a better chance of a one-way ticket to a packing plant than finding a good home.

I will be keeping the foal indefinitely so it will never be sold I just wanted a foal from MY mare because Paloma has done so much for me already, like I said Paloma has a great head on her (not physically lol but mentally) and I would like to have at least a part of her when she passes, I know I have a long time to go with her still, But I want to know what TYPE of stallion would be best to breed her with, this is a one time breeding never again will I do it and the foal will never be unwanted it will have a Permanent home with me Paloma and my filly Cherokee.

Solon 09-07-2010 12:41 AM

Couldn't really tell you which stallions, I was just answering the 'should I breed my mare' part.

Chiilaa 09-07-2010 12:45 AM

I agree with PPs. You should not breed this mare at all. If you feel the need to ask, then you do not have the knowledge required. If you had the knowledge to breed successfully, you would be able to see that she is not of breeding quality.

darkpaloma 09-07-2010 12:45 AM

Well how about this one?

New Page 3

He is black +, he is stout + and he has great blood lines + not only that he is gorgouse + and his fee is only $600.00 BIGGER PLUS

What ya think?

Solon 09-07-2010 12:47 AM

Everyone is saying you should not breed the mare.

darkpaloma 09-07-2010 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 741180)
I agree with PPs. You should not breed this mare at all. If you feel the need to ask, then you do not have the knowledge required. If you had the knowledge to breed successfully, you would be able to see that she is not of breeding quality.

I am not gonna sell it and I don't need an OUTSTANDING horse I just wanna know with what stallion would I have the best chances with? This will be MY horse for it's entire life I am not eventing barrel racing or anything like that, just a good old trail horse is what I want, that's what Paloma is and she does it great, no back issues like everyone said she would have, she has foaled before with her previous owners and they use 2 of her offspring for ranch work big deal if I never show it or anything I want a piece of my Paloma

EternalSun 09-07-2010 12:51 AM

Sorry, she just doesn't have the conformation for breeding. I think it would be in your best interest to look for a younger horse with a temperment just like hers, if that's what you're after.