The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Horseonality (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/horseonality-64236/)

spirithorse8 09-07-2010 08:12 PM

Horseonality

I believe that PP took 'horseonality' from a writing by Visser (2002)

mliponoga 09-07-2010 08:26 PM

Hahaha, no suprise!!

kitten_Val 09-07-2010 08:29 PM

I believe in "horseonality". Every horse is unique with own personality, behavior, attitude, and that's what "horseonality" means to me. But if you are referring to the word, than I don't know frankly. I'm not sure where it came from, very possibly not from Parellis.

nrhareiner 09-07-2010 08:33 PM

I agree each horse has a distinctive personality. However I have yet to find one that fits into the PP definition of it.

I think that the more you interact with your horse or dog or cat for that matter the more their personality will come out. I have found that if they do not get that interaction they have little to no real personality.

Charis 09-07-2010 08:33 PM

I don't understand the point of this thread. Everyone who has ever spent any length of time with different animals of the same species is bound to observe that they have different 'personalities,' for lack of a better word. I'm sure that people have been saying the word 'Horsenality' ('doganality,' 'cattitude,' etc...) for years and years. PP did not 'steal' it from anyone, though he was the first to Trademark it, box, it up, and try and sell it.
Having said that! There have been authors in the past that have tried to do the exact same as PP. A book that comes to mind is entitled 'Is Your Horse a Rockstar?' and it gives you a 'how to' guide to find out your horse's ... 'horsenality.'

mliponoga 09-07-2010 08:38 PM

I think the point of the thread that one of PP's biggest ideas is horseanality...and it was actually taken from someone else. At least that's what I got out of it?

Northern 09-07-2010 08:40 PM

Any way to find out for sure, Spirithorse8?

Charis 09-07-2010 08:43 PM

People have been trying to 'box their horses up' in personality sectors for ages. It's not an original idea, and he's not the only one that has marketed the whole 'horsenality' thing; he just happens to already have a huge [paying] audience that's always trying to figure their horses out the easy way. 4 horsenality categories makes it easy for people.

Scoutrider 09-07-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charis (Post 742474)
A book that comes to mind is entitled 'Is Your Horse a Rockstar?' and it gives you a 'how to' guide to find out your horse's ... 'horsenality.'

I have that book!! :lol: Its a fun and funny read, and unlike the Parelli Horseonality system at least has a couple dozen different categories rather than four.

I look at it the same way I look at the horoscope in my newspaper. Fun, perhaps, but ultimately pretty darn meaningless.

That being said, every horse I have ever worked with has had his own distinctive personality. Some had similar character traits to one another, but each one is unique in the way the big picture comes together.

Spirithorse 09-07-2010 09:08 PM

Pat and Linda didn't take the idea of Horsenality from any book. Linda actually came up with the idea based on the teachings of a personal friend of hers who is an expert in his own field of study. Get your facts right.