The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   To those bashing CARROT STICK! (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/those-bashing-carrot-stick-64246/)

kitten_Val 09-07-2010 08:37 PM

To those bashing CARROT STICK!

2 Attachment(s)
OK... I was truly insulted by some comments recently that carrot stick is an "evil equipment"! :lol: So before throwing a saddle on my paint today, I took some pics of my beautiful (still cheap, just $7 at the Expo) great yellow color carrot stick (I'm often using on ground instead of lunge whip or end of lead rope). I like it and will like it despite all arguments (so don't even start please :mrgreen: ). So enjoy!

P.S. I don't play any "games" with my horses, BTW. The ground work if I do any mostly just disengage hinds, back up, and some lunging. But I still think we need some laugh with all those too heat-up discussions lately.

nrhareiner 09-07-2010 08:42 PM

I do not think people have a problem with the stick per-say but the price that is charged for it from certain clinicians. If I could get one for $7 I would probably pick one up too. However I would never pay more for one then I would a lunge whip as I can get the same results with a lunge whip as a KS.

Also where is your string?? You have lost the part the carret hangs from. How will your horse know what to do.

smrobs 09-07-2010 08:42 PM

Hey, does that have a little hookey looking thing on the end of it? If so, I might have to get me one. A stick with a hook is a great tool for reaching under the belly on a hard to cinch horse.

riccil0ve 09-07-2010 08:46 PM

I don't have a carrot stick. Or rather, banana stick. =]

I have a hot pink "Gracie-beater," haha. Got me a dressage whip for my little one for teaching her the ground manners. But that's probably less acceptable than a stick, huh? For shame, Leigha, for shame! =D

Marecare 09-07-2010 08:46 PM

Oh Man!

No wonder it cost $7 dollars.

You didn't get the string for the end.

I have one for sale for $29.95 that I will sell you...Ha!

corinowalk 09-07-2010 08:50 PM

I have a purple dressage whip...I got no issues with the stick...just the price!

ShutUpJoe 09-07-2010 09:21 PM

I'm on the other side. I hate regular lunge whips. I like my carrot stick. Don't play games either : )

kitten_Val 09-07-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marecare (Post 742492)
Oh Man!

No wonder it cost $7 dollars.

You didn't get the string for the end.

I have one for sale for $29.95 that I will sell you...Ha!

It DID have a string, BUT I took it away. :D So it's $7 for stick + string (and I rather stick with that price lol!).

The problem with the string it's all over the place, and since I only use the stick to touch the butt with that little black popper on the end I don't really need it (so I just unhooked it).

smrobs, it's very rigid, so besides tapping you can rub it all over the horse (I even scratch their butts sometime with it, nearly impossible with dressage whip or lunge whip).

franknbeans 09-07-2010 09:56 PM

Smrobs-the "hookey thing" is just where the string goes. Love mine too, and I too have a "knock off"-in navy blue.:D

My string gets in the way sometimes too. All the rope and string and stick....takes some getting used to, but I still like it.:D

Scoutrider 09-07-2010 09:58 PM

Ha ha, love the banana stick!! :lol:

I've got my own cheapie carrot stick, and I've found them a lot easier for me to wield with precision than a lunge whip for groundwork.

That being said, I think that Scout and I have outgrown it. If I did much groundwork with him at all this summer, I just used the tail of my lungeline to get after him. I keep the stick around, though; sometimes I go help a 4-H-er or a horse-y friend with something and like to have the extra reach.

My sister has a lime green one, she calls it her Rio-Beater or The Beatin' Schtick.