The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   show halter question-Help ! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/show-halter-question-help-64264/)

Gidget 09-08-2010 01:54 AM

show halter question-Help !

I just bought a nice little show halter from my friend.
It's plain leather,light oil and Gidget is quite the princess in it :lol:

My question is what do you think is best..a plain leather show halter or a halter with silver plating? Do you think the silver takes away from the horse's facial features?

I am thinking about leaving mine plain but if the more bling the better you get noticed I will do that.

GottaRide 09-09-2010 09:19 AM

Anything that is clean & well fitted is appropriate. Although, I do prefer dark oil halters for the show ring.

Gidget 09-09-2010 12:54 PM

thank you :)

Gidget 09-09-2010 06:47 PM

I'm going to get some pictures of my girly with her halter on tonight. I finally found my camera after two weeks..well my husband found it...in a kiyak

Scoutrider 09-10-2010 10:19 AM

If I'm showing western, I go with a silver halter. English, either my snaffle bridle or a plain leather halter. In my area, an exhibitor in western attire with a plain halter won't place against an equal western entry with a silver halter. In English attire, silver is a no-no.

That being said, clean and well fitted is paramount. You can have the most expensive, silver-laden halter in the catalog, but if it doesn't fit it doesn't matter.

Personally, I like dark oil show halters, and IME that has been the fashion in my area. There are some colors of horses that are a bit more flattered by light oil - palominos, some greys, some paints, some shades of dun.

WickedNag 09-10-2010 11:23 AM

My daughter shows in a dark oil silver halter. The ones here don't seem to place well in light oil...

Gidget 09-10-2010 05:55 PM

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-ridi...-gidget-64423/

sorelhorse 09-10-2010 08:10 PM

OK. If your just showing the local shows, it doesnt matter. Let me just tell you, though of what I think looks best and the styles currently for the aqha/apha.ptha shows right now. for western-a dark leather with silver all over it. definitly does not take away the horses facial features. use a silver chain and a leadrope that matches. for english, a dark leather halter with no silver(you will be dqed if it has any) and a golden chain.

hope this helps:)

Charis 09-10-2010 08:24 PM

A properly fitted silver halter will enhance the look of a horse's head, not detract from it. However, an improperly fitting halter- silver or not- will. Silver is the 'thing to do' in the show pen, and dark oil is the flavor du jour.

sorelhorse 09-10-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charis (Post 745502)
A properly fitted silver halter will enhance the look of a horse's head, not detract from it. However, an improperly fitting halter- silver or not- will. Silver is the 'thing to do' in the show pen, and dark oil is the flavor du jour.

haha couldnt have said it better:)